Diving & Videography for a living

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't make age a restriction. But be aware you will be in an environment where (from what I gather) you will be a bit older than everyone else. By that I mean the DM/IDC part. If you have any background in media, like you say you do then good. Get your video equipment (good but basic equipment) before you head out to do this. You may not use it right away but you can start getting used to it as you go along. These days anything good you purchase should work well for a few years.

So...I give it a 4 for "finding work" in your situation.

I did it something like what you are talking about. What seems like a long long time ago.... haha
Good luck! Just do it...it will all fall together.

harang....ive sent you a PM with my email addy in it.......check your messages!!

Thanks for the encouragement Jon,

Nice to see somebody has taken similar paths then I'm going to take.

I see your a resourceful diver with a few dives under your belt, not mentioning your work. Very nice pics you took...Maldives wow, paradise. Are there any good dive schools there in the Maldives? What about work?

My background is a little rusty in the media dept now, but it would be more exhilaration this time around. Although, I was pretty good with Photoshop and video editing. The thing is that I'm very creative, so it might put a little vinegar in my work. I'm a little older, but I don't look half my age and I'm in pretty good shape compared with a lot of younger ones.

You're right...I will start looking for some equipment and slowly work my way up. It should give me head start. That is good advice...

Thanks for the vote...it's a little more encouraging now.

harang....ive sent you a PM with my email addy in it.......check your messages!!

Just sent you a quick reply, should be in your inbox...sorry I couldn't get to you sooner...

Thanks Nick

Nick,

There are no schools here really. Not for what you want to do and not to get the experience you need. Thailand will be your place in this part of the world from what I gather. You may look into Roatan or Utila if you want to stay closer to home and cheaper but I think you mentioned working in Asia anyway? Either way nothing like that here. Plenty of resorts however and more and more liveaboard that are higher end are moving in here. You aren't ready for job hunting yet though. Like I said, once you are involved in the education process you will begin to sort out the jobs available a little easier.

Jon

I've sent you a message but it appears it's timing out on the server. You might have an issue with your server or you e-mail configuration.

This is what it says;

THIS IS A WARNING MESSAGE ONLY.

YOU DO NOT NEED TO RESEND YOUR MESSAGE.

Delivery to the following recipient has been delayed:

nickprest130@homail.com

Message will be retried for 2 more day(s)

Technical details of temporary failure:
The recipient server did not accept our requests to connect. Learn more at 'The recipient server did not accept our requests...' - Gmail Help
[homail.com (1): Connection timed out]

Nick,

There are no schools here really. Not for what you want to do and not to get the experience you need. Thailand will be your place in this part of the world from what I gather. You may look into Roatan or Utila if you want to stay closer to home and cheaper but I think you mentioned working in Asia anyway? Either way nothing like that here. Plenty of resorts however and more and more liveaboard that are higher end are moving in here. You aren't ready for job hunting yet though. Like I said, once you are involved in the education process you will begin to sort out the jobs available a little easier.

Jon

Thanks for the reply Jon...I was testing the waters in your area, No biggy!
The reason I picked south east Asia is it will be close to my work, so I can stay close and get my ticket at a reputable diving school. Thailand is a possibility, but I'm not too crazy in big tourist traps. Although, south east Thailand is good around the Similians and Phuket...but still exploring. I would like a place where the coral is good and less populated with people. I really want minimum distractions....I want to live and breath diving during my intern.
Then .....I might take a job somewhere and get real experience for a few months even if I have to work for a bowl of rice a day. I will be taking a 3ird language also, so that will increase my chances. Then I'll see what more I need....when the time comes. I'm taking everything in strides right now, and going at it slowly. I will start with an Advanced Course in the Spring and get things moving ahead.

Thanks for your input and keep the good work.

"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step"

harang, thats strange as im receiving mail from elsewhere!! maybe try PM'ing me on here instead or try and sent it again.

nick

harang, thats strange as im receiving mail from elsewhere!! maybe try PM'ing me on here instead or try and sent it again.

nick

Strange indeed if you're receiving from other recipients...I will try again with my alternate e-mail.

There must be something wrong with your addy...as I tried my alternate e-mail addy and still comes out the same "Unable to send" This is your e-mail, there might be a missing link character, dot, number, capital etc....

nickprest130@homail.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom