Diving wet or Semi-Dry in GVRD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bisugo767

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi, I would like to get in touch and buddy up with divers within the Greater Vancouver who dive wet or semi-dry. Dry suit divers also welcome. I am hoping to dive and learn with you guys. I dive wet because, for space and expense reasons, I cannot dive with a dry suit at the moment. I probably never will because I also don't like diving in Winter.

If you're not diving in winter around Vancouver you are missing out on much of the year, and most of the good vis.

Yes, I know I am missing a lot by not diving in Winter. In a wetsuit, it is just too cold. There is no place for me to store a dry suit including all its other accessories.

Where do you store your wet suit?

Here is a backgrounder:
I live in a 700-sq. ft. condo with my wife. My wetsuits (3mm and 5m) and BC (I have two) are stored in the coat closet by the front door. The rest of my stuff is in a large Rubbermaid tub in the dining area. My dive bag (oh, that humungous travel dive bag) is behind the couch. My wife does not want my stuff stored in our basement locker for fear that someone might break-in and steal the stuff. Yes, our condo's locker area has been broken into several times in the past. Even with the beefed up security, I am still not confident.

My wife has been pretty patient about my scuba stuff so I intend to keep the peace:D. I don't want to do anything to upset my wife or else my diving days are over. One other dilema I have is my foot size. I wear a size 13 but I fit in a Large Tall size so this means a custom (not off the rack) dry suit ($$). With a size 13 rock boot, I will need a new set of fins such as the largest size turtle fins ($). I do not also have a place to hang my dry suit to dry. The BC and wet suit is easy, I let it drip dry in our bathtub but this will be difficult for a dry suit.

Any of you dry suit guys in a similar situation where you live in a cramp 700-sq. ft. condo with your loving wife? How do you do it? Where do you store stuff?

I only asked the question about the wetsuit because you can treat a drysuit just like a wetsuit. Dry it in the bathtub overnight roll it up and stuff it under your bed. I rented a small bedroom from a friend and that's what I did. I also lived in a mobile home but that had a small bedroom we used as storage and I kept my gear in that room.One other thing you could look into is getting some kind of large lockable bin and screw or bolt or chain it inside your storage locker. I think you must have a great wife to put up with all that stuff in your small apartment. Anyhow your welcome to dive with me anytime you want to go. Shoot me a pm when the weather gets warm enough for you to dive.
Ron L.

Well, post again when the weather warms up enough for the wet suits, and we can get together to dive. I'll still dive in a dry suit though :).

Anyhow your welcome to dive with me anytime you want to go. Shoot me a pm when the weather gets warm enough for you to dive.
Ron L.

Well, post again when the weather warms up enough for the wet suits, and we can get together to dive. I'll still dive in a dry suit though :).

Thanks guys! I will keep you in mind.

One other thing you could look into is getting some kind of large lockable bin and screw or bolt or chain it inside your storage locker. Ron L.

Ron,

Great Idea! I will look into it. Thanks. There is hope for a dry suit system after all!

The lockable bin is a great idea, I wish I'd thought of that when I lived in a condo. I'd make sure the fact that you have a locked bin in there is not visible from the outside, or it will attract thieves like rats to garbage.

If you fit a large tall suit, then foot size should not be a problem, any size boots can be attached to a suit, if you are getting it new you should be able to specify boot size without incurring any custom fitting costs. If you are lucky enough to find a used suit that fits, the boots can be easily replaced. I would guess ~$50 for new boots and ~$50-$100 to get them attached to the suit.

If your looking at a new dry suit, I would check out Divetank Dive Shop: Store Home. They have an office/shop in Burnaby. I don't think any local shop will beat their prices, and they are very competitive with the other internet suppliers too. They also promise to exchange a suit you have dove in if you feel it doesn't fit properly. I especially like that I can get internet pricing from them, and I can still drive over there, shake their hands, and talk to them in person. My only disappointment with them was that on each of my two purchases the items didn't arrive until 5-7 days later than they originally promised. But, if you go in with that expectation (and I did) it shouldn't be a problem.

Back
Top Bottom