Diving While on Cruise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are docked, with a little advanced planning, you will rarely have difficulty getting off the ship fairly close to arrival time. You just have to make the effort to arrive at the disembarkation area early enough to be one of the first ones off as soon as the Captain clears the ship. But, you can't piddle around over breakfast, and then wait until you hear the "cleared to go ashore" call over the loudspeaker before heading to the disembarkation gangway. Most larger ships have two gangways, one for the ship's shore excursions, and the other for general disembarkation. I can't remember that last time I was not in the first 10 people off the ship. I may have had to wait at the front of the line for 30 minutes, but that sure beats being at the tail end of the masses trying to exit the ship.

I cruise quite a bit. It's relaxing.

I dove Coz while cruising with Royal Caribbeans (2019). I used their Shore Excursions and the prices were reasonable for a two tank dive. All dives from the Shore Excursions are in the morning, no afternoon dives. Logistically, it's not possible for cruise dive ops to get in a 2 tank dive and get you back in time. Our boat had 8-10 divers plus one check out diver w/ the ship's DM - we split in 2 groups plus the new diver. Very organized. The Dive Op had their tender at the dock ready to take us to the rental shop and equip us.

The current in Coz, when I was there in August, was crazy fast. I lost my dive buddy TWICE on the same dive - he was too busy futzing around with taking pics and lost our group ONCE because of him (found them again within minutes). Stay with the group as much as possible. BRING YOUR SMB and reel, just in case you get separated from your group. There will be lots of dive ops/boats hitting the same dive spot. Remember your boat's name. If you get separated and can't locate your dive group within minutes, hook up with another group and when you surface, have that Captain radio to your boat. DO NOT SURFACE ALONE unless it's an emergency. You will not see your DM, your boat, or any other boats nearby. The boats track the dive group and will be at a rendezvous point.

Sign your family up with a Shore Excursion weeks before departure, they'l get a discount. Eat breakfast early onboard the ship or have them do room service. The ship disembarks from Forward and Aft of the ship. You'll be done with your dive by noon or 1pm. Plenty of time to reconnect with your family to do some shopping or nearby sightseeing.

After starting to dive, I don't know how I could honestly 'do a cruise' with all the information out there.

After starting to dive, I don't know how I could honestly 'do a cruise' with all the information out there.

Amen!

Dave Dillehay

Cruising has never seemed attractive to me. I would much rather get there (wherever it is I want to visit) as quickly as I can and stay there as long as I can. DSFDF and YMMV, of course.

I've been diving Cozumel for 3 weeks at a time for the past 6 years with my wife. We want to branch out to other locations. This is what cruising offers us. Lets me dive many islands narrowing down the places I want to return to for longer stays that my wife would enjoy since she doesn't dive. Nothing beats seeing it first had. Since 2018 we have visited 11 different Caribbean islands with another 7 scheduled by the end of 2020. I dive a lot of the ports. Just my 2 cents worth.

I've never had an issue arranging diving at each port.

I've been diving Cozumel for 3 weeks at a time for the past 6 years with my wife. We want to branch out to other locations. This is what cruising offers us. Lets me dive many islands narrowing down the places I want to return to for longer stays that my wife would enjoy since she doesn't dive. Nothing beats seeing it first had. Since 2018 we have visited 11 different Caribbean islands with another 7 scheduled by the end of 2020. I dive a lot of the ports. Just my 2 cents worth.

I've never had an issue arranging diving at each port.

So which islands have you considered returning to dive again? We’ve been to quite a few in the Caribbean and few have rated a return for us. And even though it is nowhere near as great as Coz, I do like St Croix for its variety.

Brodydog, have not been to St Croix. This last cruise did the ABC's, Definitely Bonaire and Curacao are up there with Curacao winning because of the beaches for my wife on shore dives.

Will be diving St Lucia (4th time), Barbados, Grenada, and St Vincent off a cruise ship this Jan.

For ease of travel to get there Cayman islands is the winner.

Those of you who cruise, I have to ask if you are unaware of what the cruise lines do, or does it not matter to you?

This one simply got caught, but this is common practice, it's what they do:
Carnival slapped with a $20 million fine after it was caught dumping trash into the ocean, again

And this is what happens in order to build piers for them:
Coral dredging: 'It's going to cause irreversible damage'

Cayman's are fighting a battle now with Carnival as well because they are trying to come in with their big $$ to build piers

I find a real disconnect with divers who supposedly care about the environment but continue to cruise.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom