Diving with 2 different computers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Please think this through a bit.

It is nothing....
@caruso @JoeFriday

The likelihood of needing a backup to a backup is probably slim. I don't have a backup for a backup. However, if I had a backup for my backup and if the diving is anything like the repetitive diving I often do on vacation after traveling a long way, I would probably dive with it, especially given the time/trouble/expense. Otherwise, as mentioned, the nitrogen load would not be accurate and you can't rely on it unless I had a long enough SI to basically be starting from a scratch pressure group.

However, if it's a backup for a backup in a save a dive kit for 3 people, this would allow this computer to be used for any of the 3 divers instead of being reflecting 1 particular diver's profile unless everyone is diving together and the same profile the whole trip...Then it's fine. With that said, you could also argue that if you took it on a dive with diver 1, and diver 2 or 3 who have been diving a different profile/dives needed it because their backup failed, you could still "reset" it by doing a battery change depending on the computer, and still start from scratch that way. (Some computers keep tissue data after a battery change, some don't...) If no one needed it, then at the very least, it would still reflect the accurate load for diver 1 and could be an insurance policy to the backup.

Please think this through a bit.

It is nothing....

I'm going to think it through. I prefer to have a backup computer to my main computer, and I purchase and maintain the gear for my girlfriend and her son so that's 6 dive computers. When we go on a week long trip, there's a chance that one of those computers may fail, at which point having a dry, unused computer in a save-a-dive kit will become a backup for that diver. I understand there will be no NDL information on that computer but for most practical purposes, 24 hours later it won't make all that much of a difference if that computer needs to be brought into service due to another failure of that particular dives primary computer- at least they've still GOT a computer. They could dive more conservatively or commit the cardinal sin of keeping their dive profiles the same or less as the rest of us given that we tend to dive a similar profile. At least for another 24 hours.

I thought it through. Did I miss anything?

@caruso @JoeFriday

The likelihood of needing a backup to a backup is probably slim. I don't have a backup for a backup. However, if I had a backup for my backup and if the diving is anything like the repetitive diving I often do on vacation after traveling a long way, I would probably dive with it, especially given the time/trouble/expense. Otherwise, as mentioned, the nitrogen load would not be accurate and you can't rely on it unless I had a long enough SI to basically be starting from a scratch pressure group.

However, if it's a backup for a backup in a save a dive kit for 3 people, this would allow this computer to be used for any of the 3 divers instead of being reflecting 1 particular diver's profile unless everyone is diving together and the same profile the whole trip...Then it's fine. With that said, you could also argue that if you took it on a dive with diver 1, and diver 2 or 3 who have been diving a different profile/dives needed it because their backup failed, you could still "reset" it by doing a battery change depending on the computer, and still start from scratch that way. If no one needed it, then at the very least, it would still reflect the accurate load for diver 1 and could be an insurance policy to the backup.
Maybe. I can not reset the battery in my Uwatec Aladins as they are good for about 5 years. I would also want a backup backup to carry worst case info, not no dives info.

Starting from scratch is bad...

Wife and I carry one backup between us on liveaboards. I carry it when we're both diving (which is most of the time) because I dive more aggressive profiles (albeit slightly since we're dive buddies) and I do more dives (she sits out more dives). The spare matches my loading because I dive with it and it will be more conservative for her. I guess it could get a bit out of sync if we alternated sitting out dives, but since it always goes in the water when one of us dives then it should err toward being conservative if one of our mains fail.

I'm going to think it through. I prefer to have a backup computer to my main computer, and I purchase and maintain the gear for my girlfriend and her son so that's 6 dive computers. When we go on a week long trip, there's a chance that one of those computers may fail, at which point having a dry, unused computer in a save-a-dive kit will become a backup for that diver. I understand there will be no NDL information on that computer but for most practical purposes, 24 hours later it won't make all that much of a difference if that computer needs to be brought into service due to another failure of that particular dives primary computer- at least they've still GOT a computer. They could dive more conservatively or commit the cardinal sin of keeping their dive profiles the same or less as the rest of us given that we tend to dive a similar profile. At least for another 24 hours.

I thought it through. Did I miss anything?
Yep. You want to have your backup backup on the other side of the line...

24 hours is not enough to merge in a new computer. We dive conservatively. It took 36ish hours to get my new backup close to my primary.

Wife and I carry one backup between us on liveaboards. I carry it when we're both diving (which is most of the time) because I dive more aggressive profiles (albeit slightly since we're dive buddies) and I do more dives (she sits out more dives). The spare matches my loading because I dive with it and it will be more conservative for her. I guess it could get a bit out of sync if we alternated sitting out dives, but since it always goes in the water when one of us dives then it should err toward being conservative if one of our mains fail.

I like this strategy. Maybe I now need a backup for my backup now and I should take this approach. It can be my backup when I dive alone without Mr. OOO but it can also be his backup should he need it. I usually end up diving more aggressively or more dives than him, so it works out. :) Thanks for the idea.

Currently have a suunto cobra as my primary. Looking to get a shearwater teric for wrist..however there is some concern I'll be getting different readings and recommended I stick with suunto eon core or something similar..

Any thoughts experience?

In my experience, some operators either do not allow it, discourage it or in the event of a malfunction / failure of one of your computers will make you sit out the rest of the day.

In my experience, some operators either do not allow it, discourage it or in the event of a malfunction / failure of one of your computers will make you sit out the rest of the day.

Interesting. I have not had this experience. I understand and know that if your ONLY computer craps out or locks you out, operators will make you sit out, but I have never come across an op that has discouraged having a backup and diving the more conservative one while keeping the more liberal as a backup, or not allowing the diver to dive when their primary crapped out and they were using their backup so long as it had the correct tissue loading, meaning they were dived together with the primary. It seems silly. Might you share who these operators are because I wouldn't want to dive with them.

Interesting. I have not had this experience. I understand and know that if your ONLY computer craps out or locks you out, operators will make you sit out, but I have never come across an op that has discouraged having a backup and diving the more conservative one while keeping the more liberal as a backup, or not allowing the diver to dive when their primary crapped out and they were using their backup so long as it had the correct tissue loading, meaning they were dived together with the primary. It seems silly. Might you share who these operators are because I wouldn't want to dive with them.
I have witnessed multiple divers that where given a 24 hour timeout by a LOB. I am not sure how that happened and was detected.

How did the LOB know? They have never examined any of my computers...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom