Diving with a cracked rib

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

peaceful:
Has anyone dove with a cracked rib? I know I should talk to the doctor about it but I thought I would see what others may have expericened first. I just did it a few weeks ago and it is killing me not to dive.
About 5 years ago when I did my first "Discover Scuba" at a resort in Hawaii I had a couple cracked ribs from an attempted body surfing incident about a week earlier. It was tough getting into and out of the wet suit and the equipment, but the actual diving was just fine for me. A couple days later I tried to run the Honolulu Marathon (the main reason for the trip) and that didn't go so well.

JasonH20:
About 5 years ago in Hawaii I had a couple cracked ribs from an attempted body surfing incident about a week earlier. .

Let me guess. When you went to Sandy Beach, it looked sooo easy with the waves breaking right on the beach. :D That wave is deceiving and really only for skilled body surfers because it jacks up so fast and dumps into almost bare sand. I hit my hip on the bottom so hard one time, after MAKING the wave, I peed blood for a week.
I cracked a rib and it hurt to breath deep. But I guess if you can take the pain, go ahead and dive.

As with any medical problem you should consult your doctor before diving...It worried me that so many people have dove with cracked ribs-not a highly worrisome injury, but has the potential to become worse. I'm glad that everyone is fine...but, I think about the possiblity that you could fall again, or jar into something that makes the break worse and displaces the rib, then you end up with a punctured lung and all the bad things that could happen there. Highly unlikely, probably...but I would ask your doctor first. (of course maybe that is just the EMT in me talking...)

Diving with cracked or broken ribs??? Senseless and stupid. People, put your health first and foremost before going diving. Diving with a health issue could possibly cause problems later on down the road...could possibly cause a diving emergency. Do not risk putting others in jeopardy because you feel "fine"...get things checked out and put yourself in top notch condition before putting on a tank and weights.

Just my 02.

Yeah, you should talk to your doctor. Just too many variables here. A cracked rib, in place totally, maybe a little out of place, clean break, not so clean, etc. If it moves you risk nicking a lung? And you are putting way more stress on it as your are going to be at depth under more pressure, weights, tank, BC, etc. If you suddenly turn or bump some coral you could be in for a world of hurt and again maybe move it and nick a lung and the list goes on. And it will probably hurt to breathe deeply. Risk to you and to others. Check with your doctor. Now, that being said I still went diving with a broken ankle.....2 different broken ankles to be exact but doctor OK'd it. Would I do it with a broken rib? Myself, not without checking with my doctor & some serious thinking, too much chance of a breathing problem and risking a pneumothorax.

Hank49:
Let me guess. When you went to Sandy Beach, it looked sooo easy with the waves breaking right on the beach. :D That wave is deceiving and really only for skilled body surfers because it jacks up so fast and dumps into almost bare sand. I hit my hip on the bottom so hard one time, after MAKING the wave, I peed blood for a week.
I cracked a rib and it hurt to breath deep. But I guess if you can take the pain, go ahead and dive.

Been lurking for a while,

But couldn't resist the memory. Sandy Beach was awesome. But yeah, you can get slammed really hard if you aren't careful. Saw several people get hurt because they didn't know how or when to back out of the waves.

6-8' swells breaking on bare sand is an increbible site and a rush to body surf on.

kd7fds:
Been lurking for a while,

But couldn't resist the memory. Sandy Beach was awesome. But yeah, you can get slammed really hard if you aren't careful. Saw several people get hurt because they didn't know how or when to back out of the waves.

6-8' swells breaking on bare sand is an increbible site and a rush to body surf on.

Yeah, no going straight on that wave. Drop in, turn and press and press for the bottom. Even when the lip throws and you're barreled, don't try to kick out the back or it will suck you up and over and bounce you twice. Press until the lip hits, explodes and blows its guts out. Then you pop easliy out the back. A friend of mine who would body surf 12 foot Pipeline (and was an All American swimmer at Indiana in 79) separated his shoulder there and the next week my other friend, who grew up there, cracked a rib. (sorry to hijack this but I did say "cracked rib" again) :D

oceancrest67:
Diving with cracked or broken ribs??? Senseless and stupid.
Perhaps a little strongly worded since we've alread had several users indicate that they have done so without problem. Your opinion as to whether it is a good or bad idea need not border on name calling.

Uncle Pug:
Perhaps a little strongly worded since we've alread had several users indicate that they have done so without problem. Your opinion as to whether it is a good or bad idea need not border on name calling.

I appreciate your kindly reminder of courtesy.

I was only speaking in general terms...not calling anyone person by any name...but only pointing toward behavior (health risking behavior to an individual and to others) that might not be wise...and, not being wise may come across as stupid behavior.

I am not setting myself above others...I am only pointing out that maintaining one's health first and foremost before diving would be a wise thing. Why are divers diving with cracked ribs...broken ankles...back problems etc? Pushing the envelope of health risk is pushing the burden of responsibility on toward others...directly or indirectly.

I am for everyone's safety...a diver that does not acknowledge and take care of a health issue is putting the burden of a potential hazard on toward others.

Just my 02

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom