Diving with a temporary filling?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Generally speaking if the dentists filled it up properly and there is absolutely no cavities or air bubbles than you should be fine.

But no one can promise you anything, hop in and if you feel pain dont fight it, surface immediately and wait for your permanent fill.

Completely irrelevant. There was no enclosed space, in fact the infection was draining through the gum preventing the build up of pressure

OK... Here's why I disagree:

Let's go with the two possibilities. One, there's a trapped bit of gas in the tooth with no means of escape. Two, there's a gap in the filling where gas can enter.

In the first supposition, the trapped gas would shrink as the diver descends. During the ascent, the gas would expand, but it wouldn't expand any more that it it's original volume at the surface. No problem.

In the second scenario, compressed gas can enter the tooth. If the diver shoots to the surface, then I could possibly see where the gas could expand faster than it could escape and damage the tooth. However, the tooth could be the least of his concerns in such a scenario. DCS might be much more of a problem.

Now, the second scenario is much more in line with the situation I was in. There was a void in the tooth that was filled with a compressible liquid and gas. It did have a way out, but a lot of pressure was behind it. This is way is was trying to punch through the palate on the roof of my mouth. If you're daring (and a glutton for punishment), try to push a needle through the roof of your mouth. My dentist was surprised I wasn't in pain.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom