Diving with an old depth gauge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jborg

Green Water Diver
ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just acquired an old Poseidon branded allemano sub depth gauge. I would guess it's from the early eighties. It's in pristine condition, literally not a scratch on it so I expect it's seen very little use, if any. Question is though, is there a forty year old o-ring or two in there that will disintegrate on first contact with pressure, flooding the whole thing? Is it safe-ish to open up and take a look, in terms of not inadvertently destroying it? Anyone know what the internal design is like?

IMG_0729.jpeg IMG_0730.jpeg

Ah, nice, thanks. Yeah, I'd traced Allemano sub already. :)

I just acquired an old Poseidon branded allemano sub depth gauge. I would guess it's from the early eighties. It's in pristine condition, literally not a scratch on it so I expect it's seen very little use, if any.

A great find.

I had one very similar to that one, from the late 1970s; and it lasted decades, until a car break-in, a couple of years back. Never replaced any parts; worked, accurately, without missing a beat.

Poseidon gauges were typically made in Italy -- aye, paisan -- or, now, a bit more euphemistically, the "EU" . . .

Until 10 years ago, I dived each summer with a guy who still dove his late 60's early 70's equipment, on a regular basis, depth gauge included (although he had a Beuchat Aladin Pro as well). He told me that take maintaining the equipment during winter months was part of the fun.

Question is though, is there a forty year old o-ring or two in there that will disintegrate on first contact with pressure, flooding the whole thing?

I usually use vintage gear until there is a problem. The reason is that in a number of cases instead of an o-ring, there is a proprietary seal which is no longer available, and an o-ring won't work. In your case it looks like there is a manual and you will know what you are up against. Thanks to @Sifossifoco.

Back
Top Bottom