Diving With Blood Clot?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

XxMerlinxX

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello all, if this isn't in the right subsection then I apologize, I'm on my phone and finding what I need is difficult.

My wife and I arrived in the Dominican Republic last Friday. Last night she mentioned that her leg was aching a bit, and this morning she discovered a small bump on the back of her knee. We're afraid that this is a clot, as it has happened once before after a long flight, about 4 years ago. She's started taking ibuprofen regularly and wants to know if she can go diving in a couple of days.

I realize a diagnosis over the net is not possible, but simply wanted to know if diving with a clot is allowable if it's not deep vein, or is it forbidden entirely? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

You need a diagnosis. If this is simply a superficial thrombophlebitis, there is no issue with diving. If it involves deep veins, however, all bets are off.

Deleted.....

Last edited:
Hello all, if this isn't in the right subsection then I apologize, I'm on my phone and finding what I need is difficult.

My wife and I arrived in the Dominican Republic last Friday. Last night she mentioned that her leg was aching a bit, and this morning she discovered a small bump on the back of her knee. We're afraid that this is a clot, as it has happened once before after a long flight, about 4 years ago. She's started taking ibuprofen regularly and wants to know if she can go diving in a couple of days.

I realize a diagnosis over the net is not possible, but simply wanted to know if diving with a clot is allowable if it's not deep vein, or is it forbidden entirely? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Below should give you more definitive signs/symptoms to look for:
Deep vein thrombosis, or deep venous thrombosis, (DVT) is the formation of a blood clot (thrombus) in a deep vein,[a] predominantly in the legs. Non-specific signs may include pain, swelling, redness, warmness, and engorged superficial veins. Pulmonary embolism, a potentially life-threatening complication, is caused by the detachment (embolization) of a clot that travels to the lungs. Together, DVT and pulmonary embolism constitute a single disease process known as venous thromboembolism. Post-thrombotic syndrome, another complication, significantly contributes to the health-care cost of DVT. . .

. . .Common signs and symptoms of DVT include pain or tenderness, swelling, warmth, redness or discoloration, and distention of surface veins, although about half of those with the condition have no symptoms.[1] Signs and symptoms alone are not sufficiently sensitive or specific to make a diagnosis, but when considered in conjunction with known risk factors can help determine the likelihood of DVT.[2] In most suspected cases, DVT is ruled out after evaluation,[3] and symptoms are more often due to other causes, such as cellulitis, Baker's cyst, musculoskeletal injury, or lymphedema.[4] Other differential diagnoses include hematoma, tumors, venous or arterial aneurysms, and connective tissue disorders.[5]

Deep vein thrombosis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I had work-up for DVT in Honolulu, after a long trans-Pacific flight and a hyperbaric oxygen treatment for DCS in Truk Lagoon. I also had "small bumps" all over my legs, but that was either due to mosquito bites and/or stinging hydroids --the real clincher though was the throbbing ache in my left leg the morning after my 17 hour island hopping journey from Truk to Honolulu.

Back
Top Bottom