Diving with BP at 140/102?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I believe that Losartan is one of the BP meds ok for diving.
As is Olmesartan (Benicar). That is what I take. It works very well for me in controlling my moderate hypertension with very limited side effects.

Thanks all. The hospital visit was rather anxiety provoking, for sure. But I'd been taking my BP a few times a month at the local pharmacy and it was also showing consistent high BP. I now have a home BP machine. My readings are consistent and high (systolic varies but always above 135, diastolic is usually between 95 and 102). I've made an appt to see my doc on Monday. Appreciate the meds info that isn't contradicted for diving!

Thanks all. The hospital visit was rather anxiety provoking, for sure. But I'd been taking my BP a few times a month at the local pharmacy and it was also showing consistent high BP. I now have a home BP machine. My readings are consistent and high (systolic varies but always above 135, diastolic is usually between 95 and 102). I've made an appt to see my doc on Monday. Appreciate the meds info that isn't contradicted for diving!

I would highly recommend this article. It includes a great deal of good info on this topic including info heart medications and diving.

I would suggest bringing your BP machine with you to your doctor appointment so you can check it against the doctor’s reading. Some home cuffs are right on, but others aren’t. My wife and I use different machines because the one that reads accurately for one does not work well for the other.

That 102 number is basically saying your heart is never relaxing between beats. You may have a severe potassium/magnesium deficiency. I would try to cut out all added sodium, caffein and alcohol, get more potassium/magnesium for about a week and see what the number does. That number is very dangerous and very high and is a risk for aortic or stoke issues. Don't screw around with it.

Thank you for the article. I'll add to my bedtime reading tonight :)

My doc asked me to bring the home machine with on Monday. I did test it against another home machine and they both provided similar results.

I take a magnesium supplement daily (400mg). Potassium I do not. I can see alcohol and caffeine playing a significant role. I shall endeavor to reduce my intake of both. The holidays will make that more challenging :(

Thank you for the article. I'll add to my bedtime reading tonight :)

My doc asked me to bring the home machine with on Monday. I did test it against another home machine and they both provided similar results.

I take a magnesium supplement daily (400mg). Potassium I do not. I can see alcohol and caffeine playing a significant role. I shall endeavor to reduce my intake of both. The holidays will make that more challenging :(
Lose the booze and keep your coffee or tea to a cup in the morning. Life will be better without alcohol.

Some may argue about this but the systolic isn't bad. During a good cardio workout your systolic can easily be 180-200. But during the off beat moments, your arteries and heart need to be able to relax, even for a split second. So that diastolic number is indicating that your arteries and heart aren't relaxing. Until you fix that through diet and exercise, you probably need an ace inhibitor.

It could also be an indication of too much adrenaline or cortisol. Have you done a sleep study? I have narrow nasal passages and had sleep apnea for 30 years and didn't even know it. I got a CPAP and have worn it ever night for that last 13 years. If your sleep sucks, your cortisol levels will be high all night.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom