Diving with cut off finger open wound

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubajo007

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My better half is to upgrade her certification from Scuba Diver to OW in mid June, but here comes the problem. Two weeks ago she cut the nail part off the pointing finger so the finger tip is now the raw bone. Before we get too high expectations for our dive holiday, would a healing time of around 40 days be sufficient or should we expect she can not get in the water, even with the use of gloves. We will be diving in tropic waters and will of course consult her Doctor just before we go.

Sorry to hear about your better half's accident. 40 days would seem to be ample time for an open wound to heal. Nevertheless, we all heal at different rates. Best to consult a physician for dive clearance prior to your vacation.

I'm assuming that your SO is diving with a wetsuit. If she were diving in a drysuit, then it would be possible to install some drygloves which would prevent seawater from infiltrating the wound. There are people that dive drysuits in the tropics, you know.

I hope that your SO heals quickly. If not, try to be the best topside buddy you can be. :D

Sorry to hear about your better half's accident. 40 days would seem to be ample time for an open wound to heal. Nevertheless, we all heal at different rates. Best to consult a physician for dive clearance prior to your vacation.

I'm assuming that your SO is diving with a wetsuit. If she were diving in a drysuit, then it would be possible to install some drygloves which would prevent seawater from infiltrating the wound. There are people that dive drysuits in the tropics, you know.

I hope that your SO heals quickly. If not, try to be the best topside buddy you can be. :D
Theres even drysuits specifically designed FOR the tropics. Might look into the chance of renting one too..

Had a friend who gashed his hand a week before a liveaboard trip. He dived with latex gloves taped at the wrist and did not miss a dive.

Consult the doctor before you do anything. Seawater is teeming with micro-life-forms and getting some of it in an open wound almost always results in infection.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom