Diving with Mantas in August - Where to?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you for sharing the incident. That is tragic. Reading through it, I realize I should get a dive knife. It came in handy in cutting the hook line.

I don't think this was a panicked diver death. I do believe she was knocked out somehow (maybe with someone's tank as they flew by in the current) because she had her reg in her mouth and still had air and I fail to see how she could have drowned unless she was unconscious. But, in reading the DAN incident reports over the years it seams that panic is the primary cause of diver mistakes. I don't know how you mitigate that in all cases. I practiced an out-of-air situation in my OW, just like everyone else. But, I had that happen once a long time ago. I was at an ascent line at my safety stop and it's a longish story, but needless to say I did something stupid and I knew better and that's why it happened. But I can tell you that when your tank shuts off and you're not expecting it, it is a very different experience than the OW one. In the OW training, you knew it was going to happen and you prepared for it. In my situation, it cut off mid-breath. I was sucking in when it stopped and as a result, I sucked in water and started coughing. I grabbed my buddies alternate and made a safe ascent. But that experience taught me that no matter how much you prepare, the real situation can be different than what you practiced.

I think practicing an ascent from a safety stop without a mask is a good idea. I will do that. And, I'll also practice reg recovery underwater. I have done it before, but it's not something that happens often. Unfortunately, the rest is really mental (not panicking if something happens, and not being a nervous diver). Experience helps with that. And, the dive master and guides I use will help me feel safer and less nervous.

Here are the safety gears that either strap on my BCD or fit in my BCD pockets:
1. 6' DSMB with 20' string rolled in n a tube.
2. Mirror
3. Flashlight
4. Dive-Alert airhorn
5. Whistle
6. Knife
7. PLB1

IMG_5911.JPG

Last edited:
Wow, that's a great setup. The PLB1 looks like a good idea, although I'm not sure I'd want to spend the money on that now. I thought about getting a knife but then decided that the EEZYCUT would be a better thing to have for my purpose, cutting line. I'm not sure what I would use a knife for other than that, and the EEZYCUT seemed to be a good alternative that should be easier to use and easier to wear.

So, I ordered my reef hook, muck stick, EEZYCUT, 100' finger spool, and a 6' SMB with a purge valve (hopefully it has the valve since reviews from where I ordered it said it might be the wrong product and might not have one).

Here are the safety gears that either strap on my BCD or fit in my BCD pockets:
1. 6' DSMB with 20' string rolled in n a tube.
2. Mirror
3. Flashlight
4. Dive-Alert airhorn
5. Whistle
6. Knife
7. PLB1

View attachment 421266

Here is Blue Manta video of Komodo, which I think is pretty cool & give a good representation of what you would expect to see there. Enjoy it!

Thank you for the video link. I hope I see that many Mantas.

What wetsuits do you bring? I have a 3mm full and a 3mm shorty. I am fairly cold tolerant but I did have to wear a 3mm full in Bonaire. I could layer the 3mm, or get a 5mm full and bring my shorty and the 5mm full.

I dive Komodo in Sept and brought a 5mm. Temps ranged from 78-85 Fahrenheit. It was perfect. Some folks in 3mm, Mr ooo included, was cold after a few days on the cooler temp dives.

I generally run cold. :) whatever it is you choose, I recommend full suit for protection. Urchins, coral, etc. especially with current around. You can get knocked around.

Thank you for the video link. I hope I see that many Mantas.

What wetsuits do you bring? I have a 3mm full and a 3mm shorty. I am fairly cold tolerant but I did have to wear a 3mm full in Bonaire. I could layer the 3mm, or get a 5mm full and bring my shorty and the 5mm full.
take the full...quite often where there are mantas, there is stingy stuff!

Thank you cali_diver and ooo. I planned on taking the 3mm full, and then layering the 3mm on top for the southern sites. However, after looking at the itinerary, I am only spending 3 days in the north, and then 6 days in the south. So, most of my diving will be in the south. Maybe I should get a nice lined 5mm instead. I know the 3mm full plus 3mm shorty gives me 6mm in the core, but maybe the 5mm will be warmer since there won't be gaps between the layers.

Here are the sites they list for the trip:

North Komodo - 2 days - (water temp 26-28 deg); Crystal Rock, Castle Rock, Tatawa Island, Makassar Reef (Manta Point)
North Komodo - 1 day (2 dives only) - Batu Bolong, Bonsa rock

South Komodo - 2 days - (water temp 22-26 deg); Manta Alley, Cannibal Rock, Crinoid Canyon, Torpedo Point, & Yellow wall
South Komodo- 2 days - Padar Island
South Komodo - 2 days - Nusa Kode

Thank you cali_diver and ooo. I planned on taking the 3mm full, and then layering the 3mm on top for the southern sites. However, after looking at the itinerary, I am only spending 3 days in the north, and then 6 days in the south. So, most of my diving will be in the south. Maybe I should get a nice lined 5mm instead. I know the 3mm full plus 3mm shorty gives me 6mm in the core, but maybe the 5mm will be warmer since there won't be gaps between the layers.

Here are the sites they list for the trip:

North Komodo - 2 days - (water temp 26-28 deg); Crystal Rock, Castle Rock, Tatawa Island, Makassar Reef (Manta Point)
North Komodo - 1 day (2 dives only) - Batu Bolong, Bonsa rock

South Komodo - 2 days - (water temp 22-26 deg); Manta Alley, Cannibal Rock, Crinoid Canyon, Torpedo Point, & Yellow wall
South Komodo- 2 days - Padar Island
South Komodo - 2 days - Nusa Kode

Another option is a hooded vest to add over.

As a frequent visitor and guide in Indonesia, you will probably be fine with 3 mm wetsuit. Some customers use a 5mm for all their dives in Komodo, Raja Ampat, and Bali. I mostly use 2 mm leggings and a thin zipped top. It seems everyone has their own cold water tolerance. The guides use board shorts/wetsuit tops to 3 mm full wetsuits. I like the suggestion from @outofofficebrd regarding purchasing a hoody vest that is worn under your wet suit. Excellent idea. The water temperatures vary greatly in south Komodo, so Manta Alley is not always representative of the SST in the region. The boat is beautiful and Cedric (cruise director) is outstanding.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom