Diving with Mantas in August - Where to?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have experienced unexpected down currents in many places in Indo, but not Komodo because the guides really know what the currents do and what they are expected to do there. I have seen down currents in Komodo but it was made apparent in briefings where it would be and we were told explicitly to not go past the guide. You do not go against currents but rather with currents on most dives like Dan_T described. Just listen to your guide and person giving dive briefing. If it is a dive that you are worried about don't do it. We dove Komodo with an older couple 70s and 80s and they would either skip the dive or the crew would take them to the "end" of the drift dive were there is little to no current. Just make sure you are diving with a reputable op. Make sure groups are no greater than 4 -1 diver-guide ratio.
****Seriously though if you do not feel comfortable with currents (Cozumel type)then dive Bali area and get to Nusa Pendida for a day trip to see the Mantas. Just watch out for Crystal Bay where the Mola Molas are :wink:

I looked over the Blue Manta info. It typically has 16 divers & 4 dive guides. So you'll have 4-to-1 divers/guide ratio. That's good. Just make sure you and your dive buddy to stick close to your guide.

The itinerary cover 2 manta dive sites (Manta Alley & Makassar Reef). Typically around August the mantas would be more in the south (Manta Alley), but sometime they might show up also in the central Komodo (Makassar Reef). Hopefully you'll get lucky to see them on both sites.

I went to Komodo when I had about 40 dives. It was a worry of mine as well but if you are with a good operator and DM who knows the park well, the conditions, and pays attentions to tides and whether it is suitable to dive it in those conditions, as well as the experience of those on board, you shouldn't run into any issues. This is not a guarantee, but is meant to make you feel better about what you signed up for. The only somewhat scary current I encountered was also the same dive site mentioned before, The Shotgun. That current wasn't down, it was just shooting current and you don't really fight it, you go with it. At the end, there was a perpindicular swim to get out of it but it was a short distance.

I, too, read some scary stuff about downcurrents. At the time, I was also in Bali and did not do the dives in Nusa/Crystal because of it. I would probably try it the next time I'm in Bali, though.

You do not go against currents but rather with currents on most dives like Dan_T described. Just listen to your guide and person giving dive briefing. If it is a dive that you are worried about don't do it.

This is excellent advice. Our DM reiterated this often; do not go ahead of him. Often times, it's fine behind him but just a few feet in front of him, the current would be ripping. At one of the dive sites, he told us to stay still and wait where we were. He crept forward to show us just how big the difference was. His hose was shaking and his exhaust bubbles were flying quickly to the right. He held onto a rock and let his feet go just to show us why he is always repeating himself at every dive briefing.

We also had a 4 to 1 ratio with our DM and it was great.

At the end of the day you have to decide if the style of the dive suit you.
IANTD : Only you can dive, swim and think for yourself".
The dive in Komodo is great but it is NOT everyone one cup of tea. I would be really annoyed if the dive was beyond my ability or I have to sit out certain dive! This is just like skiing, you don't buy the pass to cover all the pistes if you can only ski the baby slope.
Perhaps you should look at the day trip from Bali as alternative. Just beware of the potential danger(down current) on Mola Mola dive.

This LOB seems pretty good and I imagine the guides are good.

I just went diving in Cozumel. I love the slow drift diving there. I'm totally fine with that. It's just the way people describe Komodo sometimes, it sounds more like a "rip your face off" type of current, rather than a slow, easy drift like Cozumel. So, if it's "Cozumel type" currents, then I'm good.

I'm thinking of diving a day trip from Bali before the liveaboard. I'll have the time. I'll definitely think hard about Nusa/Crystal. I wouldn't mind seeing the Mola Mola, but not if I risk running into the down currents.

There is a story I haven't told here yet. I have only been on one other liveaboard, 11 years ago. It was South Siam Divers, in the Similan Islands, Thailand. I was brand new and never dove in the ocean before. I started diving with the group at first. I encountered cross currents and I had never encountered any current before. It was tough. I was in great shape then and worked out six days a week, but it was killing me fighting those currents. Beyond that, I consume more air than most even without current. So, I was always the first one to run low on air, and so the group went up with me, and everyone was getting mad at me. So, they stuck me with my own dive master, a Scottish guy. Once I told him that I was a new diver, he got mad and said that I shouldn't be on the boat. He said that they never should have allowed a new diver on the boat because those dives are some of the hardest around. No one told me before I got on the boat and I didn't know any better at the time to research it. And, they took my money just the same. But the positive was, I had my own private guide just him and me for the rest of my trip. And, we saw the Manta ray on my last dive with them, when the main group didn't. 11 years later, I hope to see one again.

I talked with Max, the main contact for Blue Manta. I explained my concerns to him. He is very nice. After talking with him, I think this experience will be heads and shoulders above my last one. It sounds like they'll take great care of me and will help me through any concerns or issues. He said I could try out a larger tank. And, he said the guides will work with me with tips, advice, and guidance. And, he said they could mix up the groups if needed. He also gave me a reference (at my request) for Bali, AquaMarine Diving. I'll look them up there and maybe I'll take the drift dive / night dive specialty courses, and a Mola Mola dive. Or, maybe I'll just chill and save the diving for the LOB.

What everyone has said here makes a lot of sense. Just listen to the dive master and I should be fine. And, I think his dive masters will be good and will guide me well. Thank you everyone for the advice and feedback. It really helps and I appreciate it.

You know you seem like the type of diver who will be fine as long as you use a good op. You sound like you understand your limitations and fears so that puts you ahead of many divers. When you do your day trip, pay extra for a private guide. Then you know you have a good buddy who will keep you safe on the Mola Mola dive. So many people do those dives as discover dives or first ow dives so I think you will be ok.

One Caveat: The currents may be faster than Cozumel but they are really fun. Follow your guide and get the 15L tank! It sounds like Max is doing a great job communicating with you. Liveaboards always have a check out dive... some people are nervous and never really use the dive to get everything squared away. Use the dive to get your weighting right because it will make the rest of the week more enjoyable. While in Bali with your private guide, practice sending up a safety sausage from depth (on safety stop). If you don't have one... buy one right now with a finger spool and stainless double end snap. A nice big one (6ft)

That reminds me of my trip to Komodo with Mermaid I. We did the checkout dive including launching 6' DSMB, borrowed from the liveaboard , at the end of safety stop, witnessed by DM/guide. After the checkout dive, I ended up dishing out my 3' SMB & bought their 6' DSMB.

Practicing to ascend with out mask during the checkout dive would also be useful so you would not get panic when the actual situation of losing a mask happens to you.

Cali_diver, thank you. Yes, I know my limitations and fears and I manage them to try to make sure I am as safe as possible. I am a researcher by nature and I routinely look over the DAN incident reports and data. And, I research past incidents outside of DAN to get a feel for what goes wrong and how people react, and the recommendations on what to do in those situations. Unfortunately, that also fills my head with a lot of horror stories and bad situations where people are hurt, or die. One that I wish I never would have read about was a death of a teenage girl in Clear Springs out here in Texas, in 20 feet of water with her father. But, I still think that all that knowledge gives me perspective and helps in the end. I plan on taking the Rescue Diver course and perhaps some other courses at some point to gain even more knowledge and perspective.

I will definitely hire a good private guide in Bali. That's a great idea.

Ok, I'll get another SMB. I have a 3' SMB right now but it doesn't have a purge valve so I assume that means it can't be deployed under water. I never used it, just carried it around with me. I'll get a 6' one with a purge and also get a finger spool.

It looks like the place will be pretty packed based on how full the hotels and liveaboards are. Hopefully it's not a crowded place underwater.

Hopefully losing a mask does not happen to me, since my mask lenses are prescription and my mask is expensive. I was going to get a hood to put over the straps and keep it in place, even though I really don't like hoods. And, I bought a backup prescription mask. I'm assuming losing a mask isn't common there? Dan_T, you said "when" you lose a mask, not "if" you lose a mask.

Putting hood over mask strap is a good idea.

I was thinking of my experience in Crystal Bay when a sudden burst of down current was almost ripped my mask off my face as I turned away from the current to check on the air pressure on my SPG. The mask started to fill up with water. I immediately pressed it against my left shoulder & tightened the strap with my right hand. I was horrified about what would happen if it came off at 80' deep at the time. Luckily I was hanging on a rock with my left hand when I grabbed on my SPG with right hand to get a good look on my air pressure. My camera was flailing with the current like a flag in the storm. I did not worry about the camera as it was strapped on my right wrist & chest D-ring. Definitely I was task loaded at the time. Had I lost my mask, I would be very panicky & God knew what could happen next. This situation reminded me of this incident in Palau: Lessons to be learned-Death in Palau

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom