Diving with Mask Squeeze?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Several days ago, he got mask squeeze by trying to keep the mask "tight" on his face to prevent water from entering his mask. He wants to get back in the water ASAP. Is it okay to dive with having mask squeeze (he looks like a racoon...lol), or should he hold off until the bloodshot eyes and black and blue marks go away?

Hi jupitermermaid,

What is described sounds much like subconjunctival hemorrhaging related to mask squeeze.

Given that there is no significant itching, swelling, discomfort, visual disturbance or incursion of blood into the corneal area, the expectation is that the redness will resolve (the blood will be absorbed) without treatment or residua and that diving can be resumed as soon as the diver feels up to it.

If the condition does involve itching, swelling, discomfort, visual disturbance or alters for the worse in any fashion, diving would be out and medical attention would be prudent.

Be alert to the possibility of mask squeeze and how to prevent it:

DAN on Mask Squeeze
DAN Divers Alert Network

And remember, it can always be worse----> British Sub-Aqua Club Photo http://www.bsac14.org.uk/photo/masksq2w.jpg

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

I am not sure if you are aware of this, but exposure of the skin to a few short duration, high intensity "flashes" of light within the visibile spectrum, will aid in healing and help to break apart the coagulated blood which has seeped from the capillary beds. Accelerating the nature re-absorption and removal of this material will shorten the time which he exhibits the dark circles under his eyes etc.

He may feel better afterward, and I know for sure, we would all like it, if you post a few, quick, flash photos of his face before he heals up...:D:D

I am not sure if you are aware of this, but exposure of the skin to a few short duration, high intensity "flashes" of light within the visibile spectrum, will aid in healing and help to break apart the coagulated blood which has seeped from the capillary beds. Accelerating the nature re-absorption and removal of this material will shorten the time which he exhibits the dark circles under his eyes etc.
...:D:D

Hi dumpsterDiver,

Would you be so kind as to direct me to a source that explains this treatment technique?

Thanks,

DocVikingo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom