Diving with Nekton cancelled Help needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think we'll just start calling you Carnak the Magnificent :)

:humble:

Seriously, the Pilot was already yanked from service and the rumors say it's delayed because money is tight for Nekton. This is NOT looking good in the big picture IMO.

You do know that the Pilot is for sale don't you?

see dbbcruiseandferry listing botton of the page. look for SWATH

(more specifically... http://www.diveboatbrokers.com/show_boat.php?bid=9551)

of course, this could easily apply to the Rorqual also.

I'm betting that it's real possible that the Pilot doesn't see water again until the title is transferred. (just a wild ass guess on my part, with nothing to base it on.)

I'd hate to see them go out of business though. Even though they've had some tough reviews lately, overall most people I know that have gone on these boats in past years have always had very positive reviews of them.

so hopefully they'll pull through. :thumb:

I'm not so worried because if the market is there, someone else will replace Nekton and chances are, it'll be a company that takes better care of both their vessel and their passengers from all over the planet who plan their vacations and spend thousands of dollars to spend a week onboard.

All so true! I have trip cancellation insurance but that is worthless for this type of event. I am just hoping that they can get their acts together and stay in business long enough to at least use the paid for trip. Otherwise that's a $2,000 deduction for my taxes next year. I really liked the itineraries and the boats are very stable.

The boat doesn't have to go back to PR. Its now based out of FLL for the summer. Regardless, I would also expect the end of May. That's a lot of cash deferrals.

Awesome, just Awesome. I wish I had an extra 2-3 grand sitting around to book another cruise. Now I have airline tickets to Ft. L also. I especially love that read about this on the internet and not from Nekton.

Nekton Diving has been circling the drain since they put the Rorqual in service. Worse and worse maintenance and always sacrificing the quality of the guest's diving experience in order to save a buck (Cheaper food, chillers that never work resulting in hot-box rooms and a sweltering salon, hot tub works only half the time, getting rid of the steel 95 tanks, nitrox at only 28% if it works at all, paper thin matresses, underpaid high turnover crew, poorly maintained oil spewing engines, burning and broken generators, mildew everywhere, force the guests to get off the boat to spend money and miss dives so the company saves on port fees, leaving the guests waiting on a comercial dock for hours because keeping the boat on the dock costs too much, rust rust rust...the list goes on). After 12 years of being a loyal customer and 24 trips with them I finally gave up on them after my trip to Myaguana last month. I keep hoping the company will have an epiphany and realize they need to go back to providing a quality service, instead of constantly going on the cheap. If someone is really strapped for cash, and wants to go on a trip, they can go on a Blackbeard's trip. Even though the Blackbeard's boats are small, and its basicaly "camping on the water" they are more comfortable than my last trip on the Rorqual. I think that the large, stable platform that the Nekton design boats provide is better suited for the luxury liveaboard market. They just need to invest enough money back into the business to provide a luxury (or at least a non-bargain basement) experience. They used to be the #1 rated liveaboard! Unfortunately, it seems to me that the owner has decided to not reinvest in his company, but to suck every cent he can out of returning customers, and when that cash cow dies, sell the poorly maintained boats that remain. Also, Davescuba has every right to be upset! Nekton should quit keeping their guests in the dark about maintenance issues that could cancell their trip. JD should PROPERLY refit his f---ing boat, or get out of business.

Last edited:
As compensation, they will re-book those affected on a future cruise of the passenger's choice and will also offer a free cruise (net taxes of course). They are not offering refunds.

That is completely unacceptable. Many people will not be able to afford a replacement trip and have already bought airfare for their scheduled trip. Plus from the sounds of it, they may not be in business long enough to use your paid for trip OR the free trip.

You should contact the better business bureau to complain and also enter a very negative review into trip advisor. I don't see that it is a listed business, so I would submit it to trip advisor, then once accepted post a scathing review.

Awesome, just Awesome. I wish I had an extra 2-3 grand sitting around to book another cruise. Now I have airline tickets to Ft. L also. I especially love that read about this on the internet and not from Nekton.

That really sucks, Dave.

I'm not happy about it and I could certainly use the money back. My wife is even more unhappy! There are a lot better ways to spend it. I'm sure there are a couple of charities out there who could put it to better use than Nekton. Probably will never see it or the replacement cruise.

Hopefully enough people who are contemplating Nekton dive trips Google and find this set of threads.

There's lots of friendly SB divers here in Fort Lauderdale that will be happy to dive with you and show you the reefs and wrecks like a local :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom