Diving with Nekton cancelled Help needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gr,

They appear to be canceling about 6 weeks worth of trips.

I just got off the phone with a lady at Nekton and she denies that they are cancelling 6 weeks worth.....they are hoping to get the Rorqual back in service for the May 29 trip. Of course with the way their luck runs the boat will probably be stuck in port because of the oil slick in the Gulf.....:banghead:

You can see it here Webcams

for those who don't see it... the Rorqual is tied up in the water behind the Pilot. The Pilot is sitting on the rails on dry land and you can barely make out the SWATH hull on the vessel behind it in the water.

Nekton-port-st-joe.jpg

Reading this, I'm breathing a sigh of relief that my buddy and I lowered our budget to a more part-time-job-friendly level, taking Nekton boats out of our list of options, cause they were looking fairly appealing last fall for our trip this summer. Now I'd better not read similar things about Blackbeard's before August.

To those affected by the cancelled trips: my fingers are crossed for you that they'll stay around long enough to get the trip you paid for.

I believe I read earlier in this thread that the owner of Nekton has his own helicopter or plane or something. If they win the lawsuit, make him sell the plane to pay back the people he screwed over.

I'm not a lawyer, but I think the customer's recourse is against the Nekton company, not the owner personally. I'd be very surprised if the owner would allow a valuable asset like a plane or helicopter to be owned by the same company that is in financial distress.

But most likely the plane is leased, not owned. If so it's not an asset that can be attached.

But we can hope for the best.

Why are they cancelling trips when they have a ship functional enough to rent out for oil spill clean up? This doesn't make sense. But from reading what I'm reading, I'm not surprised.

It's not being advertised as "rent out for oil spill clean up", but as a floating hotel for oil rig maintenance workers. basically a "crew boat". And not for expressly for this oil spill incident, although now might be a good opportunity to spur a sale.

However, the "Nektonoffshore.com" website was created last year, long before this recent spill.

Anyway, in regards to the Pilot, what makes you think the Pilot is functional? (100% ready to go to sea ?)

it's sitting on rails in a shipyard.

Maybe it could be made functional in a few days or a few weeks. but maybe it's sitting waiting on something to spur the "funding" to complete it.

I am shure it must be functional, the first diving charter will be on Aug. 28, 2010 according to the Nekton Diving Website :rofl3:

I would be an awesome dive site!!!

Lets put together a collection to buy her and sink her!!!

Imagine swimming UNDER a werck...

I have always thought it would be an awesome dive. The huge sundeck would be great for teaching classes, the wheelhouse and hallways would offer simple penetration dives, and the struts/pontoons could offer some advanced penetration opportunities.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom