Diving with Nekton cancelled Help needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is, on your 2010 return is to claim a casualty loss. However there are 2 caveats to that. 1. you must have made some effort to get the money back. If Netcong folds and there is nothing you can do I think that would satisfy that. 2. A casualty loss is subject to a 10% limitation of your AGI (adjusted gross income). Let say your agi is 50k, you can only take a loss on anything greater than 5k. You must also itemize your deductions instead of taking the standard deduction.

The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is, on your 2010 return is to claim a casualty loss. However there are 2 caveats to that. 1. you must have made some effort to get the money back. If Netcong folds and there is nothing you can do I think that would satisfy that. 2. A casualty loss is subject to a 10% limitation of your AGI (adjusted gross income). Let say your agi is 50k, you can only take a loss on anything greater than 5k. You must also itemize your deductions instead of taking the standard deduction.

Thanks Zeke,

That is helpful.

Last edited:
we (the x crew) found out over the weekend that nekton is out of buisness. There was a possible deal being put together with a person who was thinking about buying the company. For whatever reason the deal did not go through. Just letting those of you who have booked a trip, and are wondering what is going on, this is what i know. good luck

Nekton website was just replaced wtih this

Cessation Of Operations - Monday, May 17, 2010
Dear Friends,

It is with a heavy heart and deep regret that we must announce the cessation of operations for Nekton Diving Cruises. Due to the continually increasing cost of operations, decreased discretionary income of consumers, and overall economic difficulty, Nekton is unable to restart cruise operations at this time.

We anticipate to post further information on this page with a point of contact for claims at the middle/beginning of June 2010. We deeply regret all of the inconvenience and disappointment we are causing you, our valued customers.

If you have travel insurance, please use a copy of this announcement for pursuing a claim with your insurer.

Once again, it is with our sincerest apologies, that we must take these steps.

The Former Nekton Team

Thanks Doug for staying on top of this. Looks like those of us with money on the line are screwed. But I'm going to proceed with any claims and complaints in order to stay pro-active, whether it be claiming a casualty loss on taxes, filing an insurance claim, or hopefully, filing a claim with Nekton if they do indeed send out anything for us to file.

RE: Offer to Nekton clients

Hi all -

All of us at Explorer Ventures were were sad to hear about Nekton Diving Cruises going out of business. Though I never had the opportunity to go on John's boats, they've had many enthusiastic supporters over the years, and I'm sorry to see their relationship with their long-standing clients end this way.

In order to limit the losses to Nekton's upcoming clients who have sent them full or partial payment for their trips, I would like to make the following offer to anyone who may find themselves in that position:

1) If you've paid Nekton in full for your upcoming trip, we will offer a discount of 50% of the amount paid to Nekton on any of our Caribbean destinations, upon receipt of your payment records. Full payment of the balance would be due on reservation.

2) If you've paid a deposit only of up to 35% of the Nekton trip cost, we'll apply that deposit to final payment for space on any of our Caribbean itineraries, with immediate confirmation. Our normal booking terms (30% deposit) would apply to the trip, and the Nekton deposit would be taken off the final balance due.

3) Obviously this wouldn't apply to any current reservations you may have with us (sorry!), and no other discounts would apply.

In May/June we have the following spaces available:

May 29 Turks & Caicos - 10 available
June 5 Bahamas - 11 available
June 5 Turks & Caicos - 8 available
June 12 Turks & Caicos - 10 available
June 19 Turks & Caicos - 5 available
June 26 Bahamas - 11 available
June 26 Turks & Caicos - 6 available
July 3 Bahamas - 12 available
July 3 Turks & Caicos - 8 available

For further information please visit our website at Explorer Ventures: Adventures in Live-Aboard Diving, or call us at 800-322-3577 or email info@explorerventures.com.

Best regards,

Clay

How about this option?

Bahamas Liveaboard Diving with Paradise Charters

Smaller boat than the Nekton, but out of Florida it might be worth checking out..

We have group going over Memorial Day and my husband has dove with them several times. They do a great job....but they are only a 6pack.:D

Hi all -

Wow! Thank you for all of the kind comments, they're much appreciated!

As an update, several of the trips have sold out already today, so please be prepared to be flexible with your travel dates -

Best,

- Clay

We have group going over Memorial Day and my husband has dove with them several times. They do a great job....but they are only a 6pack.:D

How about this option?

Smaller boat than the Nekton, but out of Florida it might be worth checking out..

Hi everyone,

I’d like to introduce myself. My name is Becky, and my husband, Dan, and I recently bought Paradise Charters, Inc, a 6-pack live-aboard that offers trips to the Bahamas and south Florida from the Fort Lauderdale area. We’ve only been running trips since the beginning of the year, and as far as I know, we have not had had any unhappy customers.

I cannot imagine how terrible it would be to have put energy, time, and dollars into planning a dive vacation and have it turn out like the Nekton customers have! We’d like to offer a 10 percent discount to anyone with a confirmed booking on a cancelled Nekton trip. I wish we could do more, but as a one-vessel owner-operator, we have already priced our trips as economically as we can.

We bought the boat because we love diving, especially live-aboard diving, and we love sharing a dive experience with friends – both newly-formed and long-time friends. My husband and I actually met on a scuba diving trip – a weekend motorhome trip to the Keys with 9 other people, many of whom we still dive with regularly. Talk about close quarters:) The Easy Goin’ (our live-aboard boat) has quite a bit more room. There are 3 guest cabins for six passengers, a spacious salon, and an upstairs deck for lounging around. On all of our longer trips and most of our weekend trips, two of the three crew members will be captains, one a dive instructor and one a divemaster. I like to be the third crew member (cook) as often as possible, but I also have a full-time job as a CPA in NC.

I hope that anyone that has been displaced by the Nekton closure will consider us in their search for dive alternatives. We’ll be happy to answer any questions you have about our boat or the trips we offer. Our phone number is 864-423-DIVE and our website can be found in our signature line. LET’S GO DIVING!

Thanks Wreck Wench and georock01, for the vote of confidence and support!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom