Diving with Papahogs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just finished diving with them for 7 days the 1st week of February. This was my 3rd year with them. Mike the owner is a guy you have to get to know...he comes off "crabby" but is really a nice guy once you get to know him. The captains and DM's take their jobs seriously, never had a problem with any of them. Bottom time depends on the group your diving with....biggest air hog dictates when your going to come up. Once the DM gets to know you they let you dive your own profile and take your time with photography. They just want to be able to see you or your bubbles at all times.

I have never dove with them and do not know any one who has. What I did notice when they were picking up at a dock I was waiting at is that a few of their boats have no overhead cover. For me, I like having some protection from the sun out diving.

Yes, 2 of their boats that will handle 8 ppl do not have covers, the 3 6 passenger boats do. Can get hot on them. :)

Thanks for the replies. We are headed there in July. I dove with Aqua Safari a couple years ago but wanted to try someone new that offered more smaller boats. We are considering the combined fishing and diving trip too for one day since all our kids do not dive.

They do not fish and dive at the same time. Just recently I heard people really mad because their dives where cut to 45 mins. I do know people who have been down longer. Luck of the draw. Also some of the boats are not covered. But they have some great dms there.

I dove with them when I was in Coz......Margaret and Mike are great people. The dives were good (short primarily because of my SAC combined with the depths) and the DM's (names escape me because it was years ago) were very helpful. They picked me up at the Iberostar which I believe was usually a place most operations avoid because of distance. I used to dive locally here with the shop that Mike opened up pre-Coz days and knew the owners very well......I would not hesitate to use them again if I ever went back to COZ but as has been noted, the boats are small and fast but that sometimes comes at a cost (cover and comfort). I say they are a great shop/op but it really depends on what you want when you get there.

The owner of the local dive shop (good friends with Mike and Margaret) does a lot of fishing when in Coz - I assume it is with Mike - so I suspect that would be a good choice as well.

They do not fish and dive at the same time. Just recently I heard people really mad because their dives where cut to 45 mins. I do know people who have been down longer. Luck of the draw. Also some of the boats are not covered. But they have some great dms there.

They will do dive/fishing trips using the bigger boat (buena vida) or the really big new fishing boat. Dive in the AM down south and fish the rest of the day.

They picked me up at the Iberostar which I believe was usually a place most operations avoid because of distance.

That's not why - it is because the Iberostar charges a flat rate to pick up THEIR hotel guests there regardless of how many guests you actually pick-up in a month. So ops have to decide whether it's worth it to them or not. Some ops have regulars who stay there frequently, so it's worth it to them. Others have only a few guests a month there, if that - so it doesn't make sense.

Yes, the distance can be an issue only because both dives have to be done south - so it eliminates many great second dive site options for everyone on the boat!

Has anyone had any experience with the PapaHogs Motel?
Thinking about making the trip down this summer.
The upstairs Superior rooms are huge, like Junior Suites. I did not look in a downstairs room, but they are much smaller. The garden is lovely and the cafe nice. Great location. Just depends on what you want and what prices you find.

Thanks. It sounds like you are describing the Villa Blanca Hotel. I was wondering if anyone had a review of the Hogtown Motel? Is it onsite?
Should've been more clear in my original post.
Thanks.

Thanks. It sounds like you are describing the Villa Blanca Hotel. I was wondering if anyone had a review of the Hogtown Motel? Is it onsite?
Should've been more clear in my original post.
Thanks.
Indeed I was. I didn't know they had another motel, sorry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom