Diving with the Bull sharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If those vids are representative of the typical dive with bulls in Playa then I'll pass. Looks totally crazy to me. Who was that in the 2nd one flailing about just asking to get bitten? I can't control what some other idiot does that could set the sharks off and I sure can't control a bull. Nope, not for me.

Like anything, there is more than one way to accomplish something. Both those videos were chumed dives. The first was a Phantom Divers dive, who are well known and heavily criticized shark feeding op. I'm not sure who the second op was. But the guy flailing about was the one feeding the sharks, he was feeding them when the camera circled past him. It bait was tucked behind the rock head.

As busy as those videos appeared, not once did you see aggresive behavior to a diver. Being close to a diver is not aggresive. No bumps, nudges, bites at fins, sharp circle backs at a diver. The few times that a shark swam over or close by a diver, it was as if they weren't there. They paid no attention to them.

All that said, both those videos show too much shark activitey. The bottom gets too stirred up and the visibilty gets bad. There are videos that have worse vis than those on U Tube. If an accident is going to happen it is when a shark is excited by the bait and can't see what it's biting at.

I've consistently said that if you are interested in seeing the bulls in Playa, go with a organized non feeding dive op. The encounter is more natural and safe. The visibility will not only be better and safe, but give you a better opportunity of observing these incredible sharks. The nonchumed dives don't see 10+ sharks, more like 3-4 at a time.

anyone up for a night snorkel off the beach in Playa? I'll stay on land and watch your belongings.
:lol:​
Put a white piece of meat in the water like that and eventually they will want a taste. I don't think its the same as diving with them. And I sure wouldn't dive with sharks with exposed skin like that. Like doc said, wear full wet suit, booties etc.
Well, if we're going to mention protective actions - don't let anyone take a strobe. Charging the capacitors may well be picked up on their electrical sensors. And the PVC pipe held vertically sounds like a reasonable defensive attempt. I think I'd prefer 3/4" ID/1.050" OD or larger, maybe 1" ID/1.315" OD - and chose the heavier gauge. I have used hoe & shovel handles the same way with cattle many times and even tho they weren't trying to bite, it was a good way to push them off.

You read/hear that chumming sharks on some dives will teach them to expect food from all divers, but that was certainly not my experiene with Reef sharks in the Bahaman Exumas. I was on a liveaboard that does not chum, but took us to a spot where other Ops do and had us get on our knees in a cicle as if they was a chumsicle in the middle. Didn't work. A few came in to look, then left.

I started reading this thread against the idea, but am now wondering if it is foolhardy. It is a real sport to start with, people can get hurt and killed - and with 25-33% of divers having undiagnosed PFOs, it's certainly risk management.

We do have an ad for Shark dives there listed on Coz trips forum...
Bull shark sunday! and ScorpioDivers

The wader bitten on the leg was on Walker's Cay and was flown to Miami with his bleeding artery in short order. How fast can they get you to a trauma center from PDC? I have seen only ambulance in Mexico and it was not impressive. Do they have an admirable EMS that I am not aware?

I think I want to rent a chain maille jump suit.
kngt.gif

Like anything, there is more than one way to accomplish something. Both those videos were chumed dives. The first was a Phantom Divers dive, who are well known and heavily criticized shark feeding op. I'm not sure who the second op was. But the guy flailing about was the one feeding the sharks, he was feeding them when the camera circled past him. It bait was tucked behind the rock head.

As busy as those videos appeared, not once did you see aggresive behavior to a diver. Being close to a diver is not aggresive. No bumps, nudges, bites at fins, sharp circle backs at a diver. The few times that a shark swam over or close by a diver, it was as if they weren't there. They paid no attention to them.

All that said, both those videos show too much shark activitey. The bottom gets too stirred up and the visibilty gets bad. There are videos that have worse vis than those on U Tube. If an accident is going to happen it is when a shark is excited by the bait and can't see what it's biting at.

I've consistently said that if you are interested in seeing the bulls in Playa, go with a organized non feeding dive op. The encounter is more natural and safe. The visibility will not only be better and safe, but give you a better opportunity of observing these incredible sharks. The nonchumed dives don't see 10+ sharks, more like 3-4 at a time.

Have any links to some dives run by the more professional, non-chumming ops?

Both those videos were chumed dives.

That would explain a lot.

Did they intentionally leave out the footage that would show them feeding them?

Again though, these videos do nothing to defend against my point of how this 'dive site' is like the wild west with everybody doing whatever they want in the name of making a fast buck.

If 2 are feeding regularly and 20 are not what is the end result?

Can anyone tell if this is a feeding dive?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mMX1gYCan0

These sharks are not keeping the distance that I would consider natural for sharks either.

I watched the video, and for the most part it seems as if there is only one, possibly two sharks. I wonder how the equation would change if there were more sharks than divers. Also I distincely saw a strobe go off, I believe by the diver who is right on the bottom. From what I could see it didn't seem to trigger any reaction from the shark. But I believe there is good science behind the theory of electrical currents.

Also I distincely saw a strobe go off, I believe by the diver who is right on the bottom. From what I could see it didn't seem to trigger any reaction from the shark. But I believe there is good science behind the theory of electrical currents.
I don't think it's the flash but the capacitor recharging that may be picked up on their receptors. As far as how many times to get whatever reaction, eh - I'd like to not investigate that.

If those vids are representative of the typical dive with bulls in Playa then I'll pass. Looks totally crazy to me. Who was that in the 2nd one flailing about just asking to get bitten? I can't control what some other idiot does that could set the sharks off and I sure can't control a bull. Nope, not for me.

I agree! These looked like chummed dives to me with all the small fish and the frenzy the Bulls were in. You have to wonder about the expertize of that one diver. This is where I have a problem. These are dangerous creatures and need to be respected as such. This is not a circus show which a small few are likely to treat it. We have the same problem here with people feeding the bears or showing up at night in car loads at the local dump to see them. Makes me wonder if I should have started this thread or simply kept this experience to myself?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom