Diving without a wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have dove 59F water with no wet suit, just a long sleeved shirt and long lycra shorts. I had been snorkeling the same area without the shirt for a few days, and it worked out fairly well. I had a fair amount of natural insulation at the time, of course. I don't think I would be able to do the same thing now...

I've been diving without a wetsuit lately with just a 3mm rash guard. I've been using a back plate and harness and a horsecollar (no air in it of course but it keeps the captain off my a$$) instead of a BCD. I use a DUI weight harness with eight pounds of lead in salt water. I was diving off of Largo last month on the Speigle Grove. The surface temp was 75 and the bottom temp was 70. Since I don't wear booties or a hood my toes and nose got a little cold. But the bottom times only lasted for around 30 minutes so it wasn't too bad.

FYI - I was diving off Boca Raton 2 weeks ago and bottom temps were 72F. I typically get cold and was very chilled on my 2nd dives with a 5mm and 3mm vest under it. But YMMV.

I would want something in 75F water.

Our pool is generally 80-82. Pool sessions run 2 hours. College students, being funding challenged, are told they can wear sweatsuits and socks for a little added warmth. Those being the cotton variety. They help, but you might want to get out of those when you surface so you don't chill.

If you can get fleece (the plastic kind) that will probably not leave you as wet during the surface interval. There are dive skins made from the stuff, and they are warm. Plus they add no buoyancy like neoprene will. They might have enough stretch, but I'd check size charts and talk to the retailer. I have running tights made from the stuff, so you might try athletic stores for other options. I'd say any close fitting fitness apparel is better than nothing.

Try to rent a 3mm wetsuit vest. It won't matter if it is short on you, it will still help maintain your core temperature. And you should be able to find one that is big enough around because shorter guys that are a little stocky would have chest and waist measurements similar to yours.

Whatever you do, you need to let instructor know if you begin to shiver or feel too cold so you can end dive.

It all depends on your cold tolerance. I dive without a wetsuit in any water 75 or above because cold does not bother me. I have done 4 to 5 dives a day for a week in 77 degree water without any problems, but it depends how you perceive cold. Same dives with my ex-wife she would wear a 5 mil and a hood, and be cold.

I am sure you can find a vest that would fit you, and some boots, that little bit of warmth should be enough to get you by, and it gives you a layering option down the road. I would not add a hood at this point unless you have dove one during your pool work, it can add a degree of difficulty with taking your mask on and off underwater.

Awesome, thanks guys, I ended up not getting to dive on sat. *(see my most recent post) and just got done diving today. the surface temp was 82 and I averaged 45+ ft both dives today. My 3mm pinnacle merino came in yesterday afternoon so I used it today and boy was it nice. I didn't get hot and didn't even feel the bottom temp which was at 74. It was perfect, while some others used a light pullover or skin-suit and they were cold by the end of the day. I used a alum. bp and a steel 100. I had awesome neutral buoyancy all day. thanks again for your suggestions.

That sounds like a nice start!

Pete

I have my first open water dive tomorrow morning. My instructor said he will take me to 60' and I am in S. Florida so the waters are 75-80. Here is my dilemma, I am having a suit custom made for me at this moment, and it will not be done for a few weeks. What in the heck should I wear for the dive????:confused: I have a pretty good body mass and take cooler water ok, but Im not sure about extended exposure at depth.

Any opinions will help, It slipped my mind big time. I told my instructor this during our pool dives and he said its ok, but not sure if he meant for the pool or the ocean. And no, I will not wear a suit and tie.:eyebrow:

thanks!

Just go to one of the shops in your area, like Divers Direct and pick up a neoprene top or get one of the sleeveless Scuba Pro or similar neoprene tops. That and your board shorts or your Speedo should be fine.

N

Back
Top Bottom