Diving without certification in venice Florida?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just did a quick Google search for the area and came up with this: Discover Scuba Diving - Scuba Monkey Dive Center LLC

I am not endorsing the operator because I don't know a thing about them. It looks to be exactly what you want, though, and if you decide to get certified, the full cost of the program is applied to later certification costs.

If you do your own search, you will find a host of other shops offering the same thing.

No. In order to learn to scuba dive safely there are courses that you should follow. I know the courses are not free but diving without training is like riding a motorcycle without a helmet. It does fine until something terribly unforeseen happens and then you're a cripple (if you're lucky) for the rest of your life.

Get training. Really.

R..

Oddly enough in Florida not only are there no laws requiring certification to dive but you are also free to ride a motorcycle without a helmet.

To the OP-diving is more involved then people might think. I would suggest at least taking the discover course or finding a friend who could take you on a shallow dive (although a true friend who is knowledgeable and experienced enough to take you safely would probably suggest a discover course).

Thank you all for your replies. We are now looking for affordable places to get certified, I know that you wont want to take the cheapest course available as scuba diving has its risks and you get what you pay for. Although we are looking for something a bit cheaper than $299. If anyone has any recommendations as to where to go taht may be cheaper than most places but that is still a good place to go and would like to share we would be grateful. Thanks

Oddly enough in Florida not only are there no laws requiring certification to dive but you are also free to ride a motorcycle without a helmet.

God bless (and help) America.

I once lived in a communal house with someone who was working as a nurse in an ER. The others in the house were an old man who was a soldier, a few students like myself, the wife of some Yugoslavian MOFO with all kinds of strange business arrangements and a postwoman.

The nurse used to show us pictures of things that had happened while she was on duty. I've never seen so many pictures of ripped of limbs, smashed open skulls, scraped off skin and dead people. Every single one of them was a result of a motorcycle accident. That was her allergy but it wasn't a coincidence given that almost everyone in the house rode.

You'd almost think if there are no helmet laws in Florida that there must be no people left whose brains are not "scraped like butter over too much bread".

R..

Thank you all for your replies. We are now looking for affordable places to get certified, I know that you wont want to take the cheapest course available as scuba diving has its risks and you get what you pay for. Although we are looking for something a bit cheaper than $299. If anyone has any recommendations as to where to go taht may be cheaper than most places but that is still a good place to go and would like to share we would be grateful. Thanks

great decision, although I still see nothing wrong with doing a discover scuba first (especially if the cost can later be applied towards OW certification). When you choose a place, you might want to consider posting here as there may be people here that have had good or bad experiences with the place you chose.

yes we have decided to go snorkeling sunday instead, we are going to wait until we can really afford a good place to get certified. We are thinking of snorkeling for shark teeth since we live in venice lol sharks tooth capitial of the world. I was pointed in the direction of a going in a group that is with megladon charters but snorkelers are welcome as well. here is a link to the info I found on them. Has anyone been diving or snorkeling with them before? is it worth the trip? did you find many sharks teeth or a few large teeth? Diving For Fun - Dive Trip - Shark Teeth Hunting, Venice Beach, Florida

thanks

$300 for an OW course is about par for decent instruction... groupons and the like run the risk of inferior instruction. although might find a cheaper instruction thru your local community college -- and get credit for it.

$300 for an OW course is about par for decent instruction... groupons and the like run the risk of inferior instruction. although might find a cheaper instruction thru your local community college -- and get credit for it.

Yes, this is why we are waiting until we can afford a good place to go :)

---------- Post added August 23rd, 2013 at 03:23 PM ----------

Does anyone know anyone who does snorkel charters/tours in venice FL? Or any good places to snorkel? The original link I posted about snorkeling looks like it hasnt been updated in quite some time so that looks to be a bust. So if any one wants to point us to a good place for snorkeling we would be grateful. thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom