DIY back plate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

11" hole to hole is the standard for blot placement, the rest is up to the manufacturer in terms of size and bend. with the cost of a good plate, don't be expecting any one to give you there cad files for one.

Take a look at things on the board like the freedom plate(just singles, like the old plastic plates, but in SS), and a few other things, there are a lot of intresting ideas that you could choose to incorporate.
Allen

Should be pretty easy if you have access to a metal brake. Just measure one out and use that as a rough guide. like King3 said, size/bend is up to you (the manufacturer). Try multiple degrees of bends till you get the shape that is most comfortable to you (the end user).

I saw one the other day shaped like an "I", small for travel, yet had all the connection points in the right places.

Just remember that 11" center to center is standard.
Good Luck

Here's a design I've been playing around with. Local places are quoting close to $130 for aluminum. :rofl3:

Platedesign.gif

Are you looking to make your own plate to save money or for the satisfaction of the craft?

If you are looking to make a conventional plate just to save money, IMO you are wasting your time. I would just get something like a Hammerhead plate and then round over all the edges yourself. The time and cost involved to make a plate one-off would be much more than just buying one.

If you are looking to get really inovative and come up with something entirely different then designing and making something from your own design is the only way to do it.

I know becase I am the originator of the Freedom Plate. I designed and made this plate due to my disatifaction and frustration at how conventional plates worked for single tank use.

Some skeptics have told me that regular plates work just fine for single tank use and laugh at me for making these for a problem that doesn't exist, but until they actually try one they have no way of knowing how well they work and why I designed what I did.

If my plates are such a joke (to a few) then why after I make a run do they sell out in less than two days?
And why have I not had one return because somebody didn't like it?
They're just gealous.

Get creative and go out on a limb. Create something that will really change the direction of diving.

More backplates drawings here...

Attachments

• backplate.jpg
    backplate.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 304
  • backplate.png
    backplate.png
    24.3 KB · Views: 262

Back
Top Bottom