DIY canister light question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mitchy

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've been reading all the posts on how to build a canister light. Tehy all focus on maglite conversion.

Has anyone tried/is it possible to convert other flashlight types?
For example:
Monster Flashlight Pro P7C-900-5 LED Tactical Flashlight 5-Mode
Just a random selection (not sold on this light), but I like the fact that it is smaller than a maglite, high lumen output, would already have the appropriate electronics and heat sink built in. Am I missing something? I realize tailcap would have to be modified, and the light made waterproof.

In the mag lite conversion, the glass is replaced with thicker glass. Is this for pressure, to withstand heat, or both.
Any and all comments welcome.

OK so here is the deal:
1. Maglite is the most hacked flashlight platform out there. This means that proven parts are available. With anything else, you will be stuck trying to 1- ensure you can seal it up, 2- trying to get a good lens that can handle depth (those small lights may have 1/16" thick lenses, 3- trying to get the proper o-rings (there are a million o-rings out there and finding the proper one is a pretty tough task)...
2. That light has a nice LED but at that size of a reflector it will be pretty floody. The P7 LED was never known for it's tight beam. Better to use the Cree XML which can produce a tighter beam due to the small die. Assuming it is a clicky swotch light (didn't look hard enough), yes you will have to figure out how to seal it. Simple is to make a threaded (for gland) delrin plug and JB weld in place.
3. Yes, Mag conversion uses a thicker lens for pressure (depth) rating as well as for heat. Although heat under water should not be an issue for polycarbonate. Many people cut poly discs in whatever thickness they want. I prefer boro glass.

Again, the main reason why using a Mag is because iot is the easiest, most hacked platform and almost everyone that has built a can light can help you out with it. Also, because of it's ability to handle a large reflector a nice hotspot can be produced with it.

Thanks for the info 350xfire! I've enjoyed reading all your other posts. Question 2: Is an upgrade like this ideal?
TERRALUX MAGLITE D CELL FLASHLIGHT LED BULB 1000 LUMENS TLE 310M-EX | eBay

Obviously glass would need to be upgraded, but would this be easier for a first timer? Is a heat sink still required? Thanks.

There are better modules out there. I use the Dealextreme XML module. It runs $20 from China. Puts out about 900 lumens and produces a really nice hot spot. That Terralux is probably more flood than spot. Sure for a quick drop in into a stock mag it may be really easy to do but for a really nice dive light, I would stay away from it. Go to dealextreme.com they have many options. Type in LED module and browse. Now, most of those will require some level of modding to make them fit. Like example, the outside rim of those will need to be ground down. Not hard if you have a lathe or Dremel tool. I have some modded modules in stock as well as the lens kits (with orings). Check out tlslights.com.

I can help with the modding of the head, hopefully, within a week or so. Still waiting on my lathe controller. For the lens to fit properly about 2-2.5 mm will have to be removed from the head. The OD of the head will also need to be enlarged. All can be done with a Dremel, but for nice results a lathe can be used.

Thanks

---------- Post added April 22nd, 2012 at 09:45 AM ----------

I recently built a light with this and the guy was really pleased:
6*Cree Q5 WB 5-Mode 1200-Lumen White Light Drop-in LED Module (52.7mm*42mm/8.4V Max) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme
Only issue is that it is deep and wide at the bottom so more modding required!

This is my "go-to" "old trusty":
CREE XML-T6 5-Mode 6700K 900-Lumen Smooth Aluminum Drop-in Module with Textured Reflector - Free Shipping - DealExtreme
No depth issues just the upper rim has to be machined down. I have a few of these already modified.

Oh and BTW, the only problem with DX is that you'll have to wait 3 weeks to 2 months to get it!

Thanks for the info. Is a heat sink required?

Yes, I would make a sleeve to fit between the mag body and the module. The module has a "heatsink" but it is not big enough.

Just out of curiosity, do you know what the lumen rating on standard led mag light is? How much improvement is there to be had with the cree Q5 1200 lumen module?
[h=1][/h]

Something like 300-400???
The 1200 lumen module is a WORLD of difference!!!!

What about oil filling some of these lights with mineral oil?
Mineral oil doesn't conduct electricity and will offset water pressure.

No...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom