DIY double tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

n2addict

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi Guys,

This follows up on a previous post of mine. Does anyone know a safe way to hitch up a second tank on to a single tank BCD? I have seen it done with duct tape but feel there must be a better way.

ajithf:
..."Does anyone know a safe way to hitch up a second tank on to a single tank BCD? I have seen it done with duct tape but feel there must be a better way."
This is a better way than duct tape:
http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/AQEUVDB.html

This sort of device may allow you to attach a second tank to the single on your BC, but you need to understand that doing so constitutes competition-grade stokery.

This device would be much safer for you if used in conjunction with either a backplate and wing; a rear-inflate BC that uses a backplate; or a standard BC that uses a polymer backplate that can be drilled for the two bolts that hold these "travel bands" to the BC.

Still....all in all, it beats duct tape... (YMMV)

:wink:

Thanks Doc,

I guess drilling the backplate allows the tanks to be mounted side by side rather than one on top of the other? Thats much better than having the seond one sticking out like a fin.

Talking of duct tape local divers do the 53m Hermes wreck using double tanks and duct tape with compressed air. This has gone on for years with one known fatality. I guess anything to improve this would be a good thing.

ajithf:
Does anyone know a safe way to hitch up a second tank on to a single tank BCD?
The safest way that comes to mind would be to leave it on the boat, but failing that I think stage-mounting the second tank is a reasonable option.

I wonder whether the pony bracket can accomodte a standard size tank?

If you are talking about a full size tank and not a pony bottle then I think the answer is No there is no safe way to add a tank. Even slinging it from the front may be a questionable proposition given the lift of some single tank BCs.

Back
Top Bottom