DIY doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

n2addict

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi guys,

I just heard this story about how some guys over here use duct tape and assorted straps to fix two tanks to a normal BC in order to extend bottom time. Apparently this has been going on for a long time. To me it sounds really scary but I like to know whether I am just being paranoid?:huh:

You're not being paranoid. It's scary.

the K

Doesn't sound scary to me. But it does sound awkward. I would wear a single tank and carry an al80 stage bottle before I'd go to the trouble they are. And if they're doing it regularly it just isn't that expensive to double up a pair of tanks properly.

theskull

ajithf:
Hi guys,

I just heard this story about how some guys over here use duct tape and assorted straps to fix two tanks to a normal BC in order to extend bottom time. Apparently this has been going on for a long time. To me it sounds really scary but I like to know whether I am just being paranoid?:huh:
Well, it is scary to me, but mainly because we are talking life support equipment. But again, we live in a world where duct tape and wire ties (zip ties) are being used for almost anything. You can buy bands off ebay at a reasonable price, so I would go that way, even if I was going to make them independent doubles. 100 + feet is the wrong place to cut corners. My humble opinion.

insane.....sounds scary to me.

Yeah I didnt think it was a great idea too. Has anyone got any suggestion on how it could be done more effectively without having to buy any specialized equipment? Its not the cost thats a problem but actually getting it down here. We have all kinds of customs duties etc and usually how things are brought are by hand whenever some one comes.

By the way just to give you the creeps let me tell you they do the HMS Hermes Dive which is 53 meters on this contraption.

karstdvr:
It is okay if they are using Highlandmills brand duct tape.

Ha ha ha, awesome.....

Duct tape holding tanks together is one scary stupid idea....we should duct tape two tanks together and bring them into a local shop for a fill and see what they say. Ha ha ha!!!

--Matt

ajithf:
I just heard this story about how some guys over here use duct tape and assorted straps to fix two tanks to a normal BC in order to extend bottom time.
What a bunch of numptys. If they were REAL DIYers, they'd have made the tanks and BC out of duct tape, instead of just binding them with it. :D

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom