DIY exposure suit (hoodie) for before/after dives.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mattaphore

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Not your typical DIY equipment post, but... :D

Diving in Monterey can be chilly, but that cold can also be pretty invigorating.
When you're out of the water and you don't want so much invigoration, dry clothes are pretty comfy. I decided to paint my own hoodie sweatshirt using a technique a friend of mine showed me.

P6180234.JPG

Starting with a paper print out of a California diver down flag and an international alpha dive flag, I taped an overhead transparency to the paper and used an X-acto knife to cut out the pattern and then removed it from the paper print-out. I sprayed some Elmer's multi-purpose spray adhesive on the back of the transparency and stuck it onto the sleeves of a plain zip-up hoodie.

With the transparency secured in place, stuck down on the sweatshirt, I started painting it with fabric paint, and voila: You have a quick & easy screen printing method.

I went back to the hoodie with a fabric pen and drew a kelp plant and then painted over what I drew with some more black fabric paint.

Now I have a custom hoodie to wear the next time I go diving... only problem is that it's now getting pretty warm in the Bay Area... summer time...

Nice!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom