DIY Lobster Looper

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cth6

Registered
Reaction score
I could not bring myself to pay $30+ for a plastic lobster looper that I figured I could do myself. So I pieced together one using 1/2" CPVC and some coated cable. Worked like a charm during mini season. 11 successful catches and no misses. Three had to be released because of size.

Total cost was $5.85 for the looper, but I have enough CPVC for 2 more loopers. All of the other parts are totally consumed on each looper. I guess I need to make one for the wife and one for my sister with the extra CPVC.

The only expensive part would be a swaging tool if you didn't have one. Home Depot sells these for $30 or so, but I already had one.

If you want a detailed parts list PM me.

Chad

How about a pic?

Here are the pics. I kept them small so that they would download quickly.

PM me if you want the high res versions (1MB each).

Chad

Sorry, but what is it? I assume you snare lobsters with it, but how.... while they're running in the wild?

Here in FL, I can't speak to elsewhere, Lobster's are usually found in holes on reefs or under rocks. You use a tickler stick to lure the lobster out of the hiding space by tapping its tail. When it is far enough out, you put the looper behind the tail. You can either get the lobster to back up or pull it forward. When the tail is in the loop, you pull. It holds the lobster until you can grab it and bag it.

The length of the looper keeps you from having to be right on top of the lobster, usually allowing the lobster to relax and move toward to you. Some times the looper goes where I would not put my hand. I enjoy keeping all of my fingers intact. :eyebrow:

Chad

what is this swaging tool your talking about from home depot. I've made my own looper and it looks very close to yours, but not sure what you mean by the swaging tool.

Wouldn't it be quicker to just grab them? I've never tried to catch a spiny, but up here we do just fine without loopers.

MSilvia:
Wouldn't it be quicker to just grab them? I've never tried to catch a spiny, but up here we do just fine without loopers.

Isn't funny how up here where the lobsters have big claws to get you with, we have to use our hands.

Looks nice. I used to use a Bugger for years. They can be pretty lethal once you become proficient with one.

One of the most challenging aspects of using such a device, is getting the noose behind the bug. Adding a slight angle in the tip can help facilitate this. Also, if the hole is too tight to open up the noose, then you can resort to using the tip (with noose retracted) in a similar fashion as you would a tickle stick. Just something you want to consider as a possible future upgrade. Let us know how it works out.

InnovativeGameSnare.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom