DIY pressure pot alternatives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was able regulate the water pressure by adjusting the flow rate. When I fixed the leaks I was no longer able to regulate pressure. I used a faucet on the other end to bleed the pressure when I am done. Where did you get the QD fittings? What size of reducer did you use with the QD fittings?

The QD fitting came from... you guessed it - Nautilus. You can buy either used or new. I got a used one for about P100 ($2).

The filter canister I got already came with the fittings (came from junk-shop). The end with the QD was originally a barbed end for hose attachment. I cut of the barb and drilled out the end for the QD to fit. I didn't have a tap, so I locked it onto the fitting with a nut and sealed everything up with marine epoxy.

So, total breakdown of cost is as follows:

Filter canister (used): P120
Gauge (new): P150
QD fitting (used): P100

Total P470 (around $11)

Last edited:
Pao:

If you haven't already moved over to an air pressurized system, here's a suggestion that will work with your current system. Seal your camera housing into a plastic bag filled with water and drop that into the chamber leaving air space above. Close up the filter housing and turn on the water to the desired pressure and then turn off. The compressed air that was trapped in the chamber will allow you to slowly bleed off the pressure through the outflow valve. The more air you have to work with, the better.

Something I've been using with a lot of success is simply a PVC pressure pipe, which I fill with water and connect to the garden hose. Surprisingly I get about 60m of depth equivalent out of the mains water pressure. It's so simple it's stupid.

Regards,
Damien Siviero
http://damiensiviero.com

In Vance Harlow's reg book he talks about building pressure pots. First, was a scuba tank with the top cut off and replaced with an acryllic lid and bolts. I think someone already mentioned this. Second, was a stainless steel garden (paint) sprayer. He said you needed a metal not plastic sprayer. The third method was to use something called a "Cornelius Keg" which is an old style soda keg used for fountain softdrinks. He said they were cheap because the soft drink companies have stopped using them. However they now seem to be popular with home brewers so the prices have gone up. But then again you could always brew some beer between uses as a pot. :) Hope it helps

In Vance Harlow's reg book he talks about building pressure pots. First, was a scuba tank with the top cut off and replaced with an acryllic lid and bolts. I think someone already mentioned this. Second, was a stainless steel garden (paint) sprayer. He said you needed a metal not plastic sprayer. The third method was to use something called a "Cornelius Keg" which is an old style soda keg used for fountain softdrinks. He said they were cheap because the soft drink companies have stopped using them. However they now seem to be popular with home brewers so the prices have gone up. But then again you could always brew some beer between uses as a pot. :) Hope it helps

I went down the corny keg route, and thought it worked well:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/do-yourself-diy/363484-cornelius-keg-pressure-pot.html

I'm a gallon paint pot kinda guy
where I can fit my head and my
mouth and with a couple of QD's
and an accurate gauge even paint
but cheap second hand with some
dried glue,cleaning, I'm not putting
any paint
or glue
but I can, and a can light or a cam

150 lbs is aps 300 ft . if it blows even plastic shrapnal is not a good thing

I'm looking for a quick and dirty alternative to building my own pressure pot. The ones listed in the DIY section call for cutting old tanks, or using PVC.

As an alternative, I was thinking of using something somewhat almost ready to be used:

Thermos_Coleman_1_2_Gallon_Jug-41887_bs.jpg

An old water jug.

It has a wide mouth, double walls. I know an acrylic window would be nice, but like I said, quick and dirty. Going to use it to test lights and small housings.

All I might need to do is to stick in a gauge (optional) and a quick disconnect fitting. Only thinking of a max pressure of 150 PSI. Does this seem feasible?

many pressure cookers use the gasket and its seal as a relief mechanisn. my magifeso does this.

Well, they don't really sell pressure paint sprayers in my area. Tried out my modified pressure cooker, but the main gasket seems to be shot. Was only able to pressurize to about 13 psi before air was coming out of the side. Anything I can do to "freshen" up the seal? What's a leather gasket?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom