DIY softweights for 1/4th the Cost!! eco friendly as well!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lockdownx99

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
OK people.
This is going to be a little work in progress. Tonight im going to get up most of the text for the DIY but i will be adding pictures and references as well. ill have a little explanation of the price differences and what you end up investing to get better, cleaner, softer, soft weights.

Supplies needed/used
25 lb Bag of #8 Lead Shot
2 6" roller sized paint pans (small pans. not the 12"roller pans) to sort and divide the shot
1/4 cup measuring cup
1 teaspoon for dividing the leftover in equal proportions.
6 FREEZER bags. (Very important because they have double locks and are thicker)
Latex/nitrile gloves for protection from lead
Integrated BC pouches or weight belt with pouches
Black magic marker to label the freezer bags with lbs contained, or maybe total scoops needed to reach that level in the bag.
OPTIONAL SUPPLIES
2 yards of breathable nylon fabric or flag type material from a fabric store
sewing machine
3' of nylon strapping about 1/2"-1" wide

Step 1. Source your Lead Shot!
This is the little tiny lead pellets that you see inside those mesh net bags at your local LDS. I have done a little research and have come up with a pretty good source. Welcome to Rotometals, Inc - Non Ferrous Metals and Custom Alloys Call Toll Free 1-866-768-6638 has 25 lb bags of mixed, reclaimed lead shot for $34 a bag SHIPPED. they will only sell 50 lb orders so you have to buy a minimum of 2-25 lb bags. thats not a bad deal. this equals out to about $1.29 lb. A far cry from the $5-7 an LDS would get you for. plus its enough for you and a buddies weights, or just make extra to loan to a friend or keep as spares.
I was eager to get some lead shot quickly so I sourced my 25 lb bag from a local gun shop that dealt in reloading supplies. I was charged $38.99/ bag so i paid about $1.60/lb give or take a few cents because of tax. No big deal.
OK. so you have sourced your lead shot. I recommend going with the #7-#8 sized pellets for better density. they fit closer together resulting in more weight in a smaller area.

Step 2. Source your container.
I had an idea that i was going to use freezer bags as my primary container and then i can choose to do with them whatever i want later. I chose the freezer bags mainly because they make a complete seal from liquids. if you put your lead shot in the baggies and seal them up, there is no lead bleed off when you are out of the water trying to dry them off. in turn you save a little pollution from your BC (provided your using a weight integrated BC) and you do your part to contribute to the less polluting of the waterways.

Step 3. Get your sorting supplies.
for this step i had 2 small paint roller pans sitting in the kitchen that are perfectly clean because i love to put liners in everything. at the end of the project just pull away the walmart bag and away goes the excess paint. anyways, they were the small ones you use for the 6" rollers for trim. perfect for pouring a 25 lb bag or lead balls into. Be careful not to spill these things when you are pouring because they bounce, roll, and WILL get everywhere. trust me. i dropped about a teaspoons amount on the counter. i got them all though back in the pan thought. anyways. just cut a 2" slit at the top corner and make sure you have a good grip, pour slowly and carefully.
For the measuring device i simply used a measuring cup to scoop out the pellets in a somewhat uniform fashion. i used a 1/4th cup. i made sure to make each scoop completely level and identical to the next. very important unless you have a small scale. i wouldnt trust the adult weight scales you use to weigh yourself as sometimes it may not be 100% accurate when weighing in increments of 1 and 1/2 lbs. but anyways, i started with 5 scoops per freezer bag. i filled 4 freezer bags. i had enough to make 2-2.5 lb weights as well. just make sure that you do to one bag that you do to the others. you may have to figure out how to divide the shot up after you have the 5 even scoops in the 4 big bags. there are a few ways of doing it. one thing i noticed is that because i had 2 paint trays, i could pour the shot into my cup when the level was getting too low to scoop, using the other pan to catch any that may fall or drop. scooping gets pretty difficult after the shot is half way divided.

Step 4. Closing and securing the bags!
I made sure to get all the air out of the bags. if you do this, you will be able to fit the bags in your pouches without too much bulk and there should be enough room to fit a little more. My pouches are Scubapro integrated weights pouches for the Nighthawk BC. ( I LOVE IT ) I was successfully able to fit 12.5 lbs/pouch. I use about 24 lbs in fresh water, and am told i should use about 30 lbs in salt water. but its getting warmer so i dont think the extra 5 lbs will be required. i just have to perfect my buoyancy control and ill be fine.
I plan to do a little more with them as far as security. I have them in freezer bags so they do not fall out. i plan on making some nylon material pouches to drop the freezer bags into and sew them up so they are double secured and there is no chance of the weight working its way our of your pouches. you could double the freezer bags for extra sense of security. or you could double the freezer bags and double the nylon material pouch to hold them. (that would be 2 freezer bags, 2 nylon sewed pouches, and a zipped up integrated weight pouch. 5 layers of protection from falling out)
as for the nylon strapping, you may want to use it to make little nylon handles to better grasp these little bags of weight. REMEMBER we are doing this to save money and be creative at the same time. its my opinion that with a little time and motivation we can make something that is both 10x better product then what the LDS is slinging, AND make it more innovative and better for practical use.

MORE TO COME SOON!!!!!!!

Ill post pics of what i have so far and keep a look out for this thread because as i read over it i may change a few things. scan through it even if you have read it. thanks and enjoy.
PS. please try to refrain from making money on this idea. this is all i ask of you. im passing on this knowledge to better help the scuba community and i would rather see it benefit the individuals rather than give someone the knowledge to line their pockets. thats all i ask. thanks.

:worthless:

Ha Ha, just kidding! Thanks for the excellent write-up thus far!

Last edited:
sorry im a slacker. your right this thread is useless without pics. im goin to get them up asap. im just ben paying more attention to my newborn and 2 year old while my wife is at work. i promise ill have some pics up by friday night, if not sooner. sorry for the delay and ill come through. thanks for the support and keep a look out for this thread,

Congrats on the newborn! I have a 4 month old and a 3 year old at home now, so I completely understand!

Thanks. i guess i can stop calling her a newborn now that shes almost 10 weeks old. time just flies by soo fast. oh well. she new to me still! congrats on yours as well.

It's a little more expensive, but you can get steel shot (for shotgun shells) from reloading supply stores. I found some in ten pound bags at midwayusa.com for 21 dollars plus shipping.
Thanks for the great article!

I did this same thing, but I used smaller bags of 2.5 pounds each. This way if I need to remove any weight I can do it in smaller increments without the need to empty shot out of individual bags. I wasn't ambitious enough to make one pound bags, though.

PS. please try to refrain from making money on this idea. this is all i ask of you. im passing on this knowledge to better help the scuba community and i would rather see it benefit the individuals rather than give someone the knowledge to line their pockets. thats all i ask. thanks.
it's not exactly a new idea, I've seen threads discussing it long ago.

Have you tried these UW yet? The feeling on the old threads was, if you don't get all the air out it's going to expand. And if you do (one of those freezer vacuum gizmos is often suggested), you pretty much wind up with a hard weight again. So it would be a way of making hard weights without melting lead, perhaps helpful but not actually soft weights.

it's not exactly a new idea, I've seen threads discussing it long ago.

Have you tried these UW yet? The feeling on the old threads was, if you don't get all the air out it's going to expand. And if you do (one of those freezer vacuum gizmos is often suggested), you pretty much wind up with a hard weight again. So it would be a way of making hard weights without melting lead, perhaps helpful but not actually soft weights.

Hmmmm. only one question . . . how would the air expand? If anything the air would compress as I dive deeper. It will never expand enough to harden the weight, unless of course I take them up to say about thirty thousand feet. I don't plan to dive quite that high up though. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom