DIY Tank Pressure Checker?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mcgowman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a spare SPG and was wondering if it's possible to make a tank pressure checker.

Am assuming I'd just need a type of yoke adaptor and pressure relief/safety valve.

Does anybody know how or where to find parts for this?

TIA

Save your spg for underwater. Since you are going to be using the checker topside you can get by with a cheaper HP guage. I pick up guages for 5 or so at flea markets or even new for a little bit more. Get one that goes about 500 psi above your tanks working pressure. Take some teflon tape and thread it into the yoke adapter and add an HP bleeder valve and you are good to go.

I had a bunch of extra gear laying around doing nothing so I used a first stage, SPG and BCD inflator hose with one of those air nozzles added to the BCD hose (the nozzle functions as the pressure relief).
I use it to check pressure as well as to clean off gear with the leftover air in the tank.
It works great for getting sand out of my regs (alot of beach diving).

Back
Top Bottom