DIY undergarment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sbiriguda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Making yourself a drysuit is too complicated but making an undergarment after all should be just like asking a taylor made dress, or making it on your own if you have the skills. Did anyone try to buy the "cloth" let me say even the thinsulate and similar and make their own undergarments for trilaminate drysuits?

It really depends on how serious a set of undies you need. If you need a pair that will perform on the level of Weezle Extremes or Thinsulate 400, for really cold water, you are probably out of luck - it's hard to find the right grades of material in small quantity, and if you try to substitute materials you can spend a fair bit of money, without producing a really usable suit since many insulators don't hold up well to the compression dive undies experience.

If you need a light to medium duty set, however, the prospects are much better since, for some reason, the suitable grades of polarfleece material are easy to find and much easier to sew into a usable set of undies.

Cheaper too. You can sometimes find seconds of polartec material cheaply, and if you don't care about color, you can even buy leftover bits by the pound for even less.

Put that together with someone who enjoys sewing, and is willing to do it just for fun, and a $20 set of drysuit undies becomes a real possibility.

Military Surplus,
A cheap alternative are cold weather polypropylene undergarments, used by the military in ECW (Extreme cold weather) applications. I am active duty military and was issued a set when I got my cold weather gear, but they can be purchased fairly cheaply on the open market. They are non-moistrue absorbing and very warm. Try this link if interested.
Polypropylene Thermals - Cold weather underwear - Military PolyPropylene

Link not working but for sure it's possible to find something similar

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom