Dizziness & Fatigue/Lethargy After Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Daner:
What about starvation? 10kgs below what you thought is a lot of weight to lose. All the activity of diving would burn up alot of calories wouldn't it? I know I get tired and lathargic when I dive if I don't eat. So I eat like a horse when I am diving a lot on a weekend or vacation but I have never lost any significant weight...
OMG that is 22 pounds lighter than thought. I was thinking much less. Yeah, could be right on. A body burning calories much faster than taken in - which can happen diving - could lead to extended fatigue.

Good call...! (I got to learn my metric conversions. :shakehead )

DandyDon:
I didn't think you missed anything, just gave another view. The OP doesn't really know why the physician there looked in his eyes, nor did I really. Thanks for expanding on that.

But yeah, from all I have learned from your postings and a few PMs you've taken time to send me, I have learned A LOT from you - trying to remember a higher percentage of it all, and I know more than most here about your credentials and experiences - at NASA and in the sea both.

Lets' not set our goals too high now.... :D
Ophthalmologists examine eyes for evidence of diabetes. It appears as small, white, sometimes fluffy spots.

Actually now I come to think of it, he did say something like "it's not a stroke", which took me by surprise as that had never even crossed my mind. I guess I associate that with older people.

Anyways, my diving has been reduced and, the tingling has stopped, but I'm still getting the dizziness on standing. I'm back to the UK in a few days so I'll go get some tests.

One of my ears is now a little sore AFTER I've started the Serc/Sudafed (!) so I don't know if that's good or bad!? I think I'll live though, but I'll definitely update the post if/when I get some answers. Loose ends and all that...

Yeah it's surprising to hear of a stroke or heat attack in anyone under 50s, but have known a few of each under 30. Be very glad. I guess the 22# weght loss could be from the diving. What do you usually eat in a day? Perhaps need to eat more and better?

I was wondering about a couple of things, any nausea with this or abnormal heart rates? I was also thinking it could be sleep apnea, ever wake up gasping for air? Do you ever get sudden onset of dizziness or have ringing in the ears?

SiC:
...very lean and feel the cold more underwater than the other guys... eating more sugar and white flour lately than I have in a while and craving peanuts and sweet things...

Also I've found out that I'm about 10kgs lighter than I thought

You are clearly getting inadequate nutrition. A loss of 10kg in 6 weeks suggests you have a net caloric deficit of some 1500-2000 kcals a day!

I'm not a doctor, but your symptoms fit right in line with what I've read of people slowly starving for one reason or another.

The comment about sugar and white flour suggests you may be a bit overfastidious about your diet given that your choices are probably limited. Also your body doesn't usually lie to you, if it wants peanuts and sweet things, it could simply be telling you to increase your fat and carbohydrate intake. And even protein if you are a vegetarian and nuts are a primary protein source.

You say you are eating like a horse, but what are you actually eating? You have to keep in mind that you are expending a great amount of energy keeping warm, so you can't judge your caloric requirements based on the apparently low physical exertions of your dives. I think you need to eat more and add a significant amount of exposure protection.

edit - I'm not suggesting you skip the medical checkups.

Back
Top Bottom