DM - almost desided where to go...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

glamourpuss

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
have narrowed it down to a couple of places to do my DM and i was hoping some of you might have some experience with one or more of these companies/places.

i plan on spending about 2 months getting my dive masters so i'm looking for a combination of things.. reputable company (PADI 5star)... good dive spots... good weather july-september.... location you wouldn't mind spending 2 months in... (ie. things to do other than just dive... grocery stores... nice cafe's/restaurants, good accomodation... easy to meet people... easy internet access... a place you could make home for 2+ months).

the three places i am currently considering are:

Koh Tao - with Buddah View (www.buddhaview-diving.com/)

Koh Phangan - with Phangan Divers (http://www.phangandivers.com)

Vietnam - with Rainbow Divers (http://www.divevietnam.com)

thanks!

I'm sure these are all fine establishments, but don't think for a minute that 5 star is a rating. It has nothing to do with quality, don't eliminate prospects because they haven't paid the extra fee to call themselves a 5 star facility.

That wasn't my point. I don't know any companies in the area, including those you mentioned. My point is the 5 stars is virtually meaningless and should be ignored.

i realise you have your issues with the padi 5 star rating and may not agree with it... you are entitled to your opinions, however please don't turn this into a debate about the merrits of padi's rating system.

like i said before, if you feel i have rejected a reputable company just because they aren't a 5 star feel free to suggest it but please don't critisize my preference of a 5 star company because you feel it's all a marketing ploy. it may well be but it still makes me feel more comfortable.

i don't want to debate this, i'm really just looking for sugestions on where to go.

thanks.

I don't have issues with the rating system, because they don't have a rating system. The concept of 5 star facilities is not a rating system. Read up on it and come to your own conclusions or ask PADI if they actually rate facilities. What warrents 1 star? 2? 3? 4? Your other option is to remain uninformed, it doesn't matter to me either way. If you are more comfortable with a 5 star facility, by all means go to a 5 star facility and be happy. Ignorance is bliss.

glamourpuss once bubbled...
if you feel i have regected a reputable company in one of these areas because it is not 5 star please feel free to suggest it.

Do you know what being a "PADI 5 star facility" means?

walter look i really just want info on where i should go.. thats all ok.. if you can't help me out with that fine, but as i said i don't want to turn this into a debate over padi's 5 star rating. (i know that it's not a 1 star 2 star 3, 4 or 5 star system) i have have read up about it, including the other posts on this board. if i wanted to join the debate about it i would have joined the other threads! i'm not being ignorant about it we just have differing opinions.

I JUST WANT ADVICE ON WHERE I SHOULD DIVE. if you can't help me with that can you please just leave this post to those who can.

IMO, You would be best served by doing your DM training in an environment similar to where you expect to DM. I am not saying that this should be The only consideration but one of many.

What you need is a good instructor not good weather, convenient shoping or good dive sites. Your opening post seems to suggest that being a "5 star"inducates a shop is reputably or more so than one who is not "reputable company (PADI 5star)... "
Good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom