DM candidate looking for advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Swimming is of course important and the fact that your gym does not have a pool is very bad you should find another way to train in a pool or change gym. In fact the pool is the only facility you actually need.
Second you need to build some upper body strength. Don't need weights, good exercise is wall climbing and free climbing
Everybody is different so I do not know how much weight you need to loose but if you are really overweight you should walk and run 3 hours per day forget one hour work outs at the gym those are not for weight loss

Many posts about swimming and cardio. I second those as a good dive master (especially in cold waters of NY) will need to be in good condition. Let me add a few other thoughts that helped me along:
- Read the PADI Encyclopedia especally physics and physiology. Good information but you will need to master these for the Quizz.

- How are your basic diving skills (rermember the 20 skills). Can you practice them in a pool before your course? Maybe watch the PADI Open Water Video on the skills demonstrations.

- Can you practive breathing and buoyancy control in the water say at 10 feet? Master your breathing and relax in the water.

- Are you happy with you equipment? Can you see what other DiveMasters are using in your area to see if you want to change or modify. In my shop, we encourage the DMs to use Backplate with harness and wings. I am not interested in raising the usual alarms about BP/W debate but it is just what we do.

Good luck. You will be a much better diver with the DM training.

Thanks Guys.
I'm gonna be hitting the Pool at my School tomorrow night.......I'll be the ass with Mask Fin and Snorkel.
My weight is Fine. I'm all for dropping more weight though lol. and as of right now I can run 1.5 miles in under 14mins, and I'm running 5 miles with ease now. A week from Wed I'm gonna get my VO2 Max calculated.

My Skills are Good. Infact this past Sept me and the Fam were in Cozumel and while my mom and little sister were doing their certification skill I was doing my own. Taking Everything off and putting it all back on.......at one point I was only in my Boardshorts and Rash Guard lol. Not gonna lie it was alittle scary, but I've always been good at staying composed and calm in Extreme situations.

Gear......I'm Very Happy. I'm able to Organize everything nice on my Balance. My Reg breaths really Nice for me, might upgrade that to a Legend, but the Titan is more then Fine for me.

Again Thanks Alot Guys :eek:)

Back
Top Bottom