DM or Master Diver????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

howarde:
I do see the value in continuing education, like I am probably going to take deco procedures, and maybe trimix before the end of the year. That's not just a specialty though.

I think the tec/rec route is a viable alternative to either DM or Master Diver. Although I think it would be fun to be a DM in your area, Howard, for it me it would be an endless succession of "Try Scuba" sessions in the pool or assisting with OW classes in a cold, dark lake. You will learn to gas plan in tech classes and become a more confident diver with an understanding of redudancy and self-sufficiency while honing team diving skills. You can take the beginning classes in a single large cylinder with an H-valve, you don't have to dive doubles.

TheRedHead:
I think the tec/rec route is a viable alternative to either DM or Master Diver. Although I think it would be fun to be a DM in your area, Howard, for it me it would be an endless succession of "Try Scuba" sessions in the pool or assisting with OW classes in a cold, dark lake. You will learn to gas plan in tech classes and become a more confident diver with an understanding of redudancy and self-sufficiency while honing team diving skills. You can take the beginning classes in a single large cylinder with an H-valve, you have have to dive doubles.
I do think that DM in my area wouldn't be a bad thing either. I would consider it if I actually had the time to commit.

The moon is white.
Cheese is white.
The moon is made of cheese.

Come on, that's sophomoric

Thalassamania:
The moon is white.
Cheese is white.

Would you care to be a little less clear? :D

It's what’s called a logical syllogism and it is every bit as true (and/or silly) as BIGGDAWGS.

Thalassamania:
It's what’s called a logical syllogism and it is every bit as true (and/or silly) as BIGGDAWGS.

Yes, they're on IQ tests, but you didn't make a reference to anyone's particular post. :mooner:

TheRedHead:
Yes, they're on IQ tests, but you didn't make a reference to anyone's particular post. :mooner:

Sorry, I've grown so used to working in threaded mode where such things are a dash clearer. Here we go:

BiggDawg:
Okay, I just asked one. I called an instructor.
His reply, "Without certifications, I couldn't sell anything."

Actually, that's perfect basic logic:
  • A => B
  • B => C
  • then, A => C
  • If A is True
  • Then, If B is True
  • Then, C Must be True
So, if the conclusion ("C") is incorrect (i.e., not true), then which premise are you challenging,:
  • DivingCRNA's (and the instructor I called), that C-Cards don't help diving? ("A")
  • or yours, that Diving doesn't help the little guy? ("B")

The moon is white.
Cheese is white.

You messed up your example:

The Moon (A) is white (B)
Cheese (C) is white (B)

Which is NOT
# A => B
# B => C

Here is an proper example.
Apples (A) are fruit (B)
Fruit (B) is good for you (C)

Therefore: Apples are good for you.

Thalassamania:
The moon is white.
Cheese is white.
Thalassamania:

Well, at least a sophomore could have gotten it right.

That is why we use symbols.
You said:
  • A => B
  • C => B
  • therefore A => C
Which is so totally wrong that every one else can see it. It may not be sophomoric so much as moronic.
It is also a complete misrepresentation of what I said.

JimC:
You messed up your example:

The Moon (A) is white (B)
Cheese (C) is white (B)

Which is NOT
# A => B
# B => C

Here is an proper example.
Apples (A) are fruit (B)
Fruit (B) is good for you (C)

Therefore: Apples are good for you.

Or,
  • A: Diving is supports the LDS
  • B: Certifications support diving
  • Therefore, C: Certifications support the LDS
Which is exactly what I said originally, but had to resort to notation because it was apparently too complicated of a concept for some. What part of that is too hard to understand?

If you are going to try to be insulting, at least don't embarrass yourself when you do. :mooner:

hudman10:
Hello all,

I need help!! I'm one specialty away from Master Diver. Is DM worth the money and comitment? I have a wife ( with C card but will not dive any more) and 2 kids (5 and 3) who dont dive obviously. I want to dive more and use DM as an excuse but DM sounds like too much workand money for my current situation. Plus, do I wanna work or play when I dive?????

Brett

If there are any other specialties you want to do, go for it but I wouldn't take something you don't want just to get the card.

I think the DM training is worth it and it might be worthwhile for you too but if you want to be a working DM, you'll need insurance. You can always just take the course.

I think that was the type of answer you were looking for...:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom