DM or ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DameDykker

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I need some oppinions from all you guys out there. I'm wondering wether to sign up for some DM training or equivalent. However, you better get the whole storry:

My background

PADI OW in October 1993
PADI AOW in August 1994
PADI RD in July 1995 or 1996

ITAND Nitrox January 2001

I have some 200 logged dives (and 50+ shallow unlogged dives) in all conditions: current, low vis, cold etc.

I have also roughly ½ way completed a CMAS *** in my current club.

The club is slowely grinding to a stand still. There are too few active members therefore too little diving etc. The ultimate consequences for me are that I'll probably change club and that the CMAS *** education will never be finished.

Target

I wish to be a better diver and learn more theory and diving skills.

Possibilities

1. I could take a DM followed by instructor ect.
2. I could take more speciallities
3. I could find somewhere to finalize my CMAS ***
4. I could go into tech diving

Problems

1. I just talked to some LDS doing DM courses and had a long chat with a DM. He indicated that I would only learn to do thing in front of students in the DM course and how to educate in the Inctructor cource. Not really the way to go to gain experience if you (as I) are not interested in instructing for a living.
2. I can't really see what it sould be. I've done deep, dry suit and the nitrox (under ITAND). I'm not interested in photografy so that leaves?
3. Possible but very slow and unfocused.
4. My physics are probably not good enough. And maybe 40+ is to late to start in on that.

So my question to you is what are your recommandations and your eksperinces with DM etc? Are there other possibilities?

Thank you for your help

If you want to go for it do it!

I finished my Dive Master three months ago, and I think it gives you insights you don't get otherwise.

It teaches you to keep an eye on your dive buddies (remember, now you're a pro).

It even might enable you to pay for your dives while on holiday by guiding (diving centres are always on the look for an extra hand, especially in very high season).

Despite the high cost, and the high insurance involved, yes, I think it's well worth it.

And, no, I'm not sure I'll make it to instructor, although I am seriously considering it as a self-gift for my 40th birthday in January 2006.

From your post, I would believe that your interests lie more along NAUI's Master Diver certification which delves into your weak areas, rather than Dive Master which is a leadership/professional rating. In the Master Diver cert, you learn a LOT about physics, the environment, as well as other areas. This is not just another cert, as they really go all out to make you a well rounded diver. I highly reccomend it!

Hi NetDoc

I've just checked Naui's home page. That might indeed be what I'm looking for. Unfortunately Naui is not possible in Denmark, Sweden, Norway or Germany, where it was feasiable for me to go! Nice cure, doc but medicin not available :(

For Scandanavia...

Centralvägen 7
S-184-32 Akersberga
Sweden
46-8-540-20030 Voice
46-8-540-20112 Fax
URL: http://www.naui.se/
Email: info@naui.se

For Switzerland, Austria, and Germany...

Brunngasse 6
CH-8400 Winterthur
Switzerland
41-52- 213-03-80 Voice
41-52-213-03-82 Fax
URL: http://www.naui.ch/
Email: naui@naui.ch

Specific contacts...

Germany
Bodo Ziemainz
Kölnstrasse 67
50321 Brühl
Germany
(49) 2232-942939 Voice
(49) 2232-942949 Fax

I hope these help... NAUI is truly international in scope.

Go here, and type in Sweden in the Country part and STAND BACK... I am sure it will yield similer results for most any nation...

http://www.naui.com/index-side.html

Just checked it out.

The center close to me Malmö does the cource over several nights and days. That would make the transportation cost comparable or greater than the cource cost.

The German ones are also far from my sister, where I could have stayed for a couble of days.

And Denmark is under construction according to the Swedish/Scandinavian site. :huh:

So keep up the good suggestions:)

but I was very impressed with the Master Diver program by NAUI. I look forward to teaching it!

Thank you, thank you, thank you NetDoc :)

I can now see, that that replay came out rather negative. My excuses. I'm really sorry I can't take it here. But maybe you'll teach me? Your place or mine?? :tease:

I'll have to learn dry suit diving... If you come here you may never want to go back! :tease:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom