DM (PADI) Equipment swap with buddy breathing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iztok

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Any hints to make the underwater equipment swap with buddy breathing easier?

I figured out that wearing a belt to keep both diver and BC down is good. Taking it slow is probably good as well (to reduce stress and possible panic).

Any other?

Well, it's an extremely easy exercise, so unless you just aren't ready, you shouldn't have any trouble. What I tell my OW students before they do it is to talk it over with your buddy, step by step. Most things take two hands to accomplish and the second hand belongs to your buddy, so help each other at each step.

1. Do you both know how to buddy breathe? I was never taught buddy breathing. I learned it right before the DM equipment swap.

2. Both of you should have the same weight system. I recommend belts since you won't swap those. If you are integrated, make sure both people are weighted for the person that needs more lead.

3. Understand that you will be laughing during the entire skill.

4. The "hardest" part is the mask clearing. Do you do it while your buddy has the regulator (during your exhale)? Do you do it when you have the regulator?

5. Slow exhales.

I was never taught buddy breathing during my classes so far. I am sure in next few weeks it will be covered by my instructor.

I am going through this alone (well I am the only DM candidate in progress) at this point so I am not sure who my buddy for this exercise will be (it will be one who already has DM or above that is for sure).

OK, first step is to learn buddy breating. Second step is to practice it.

DBailey:
The "hardest" part is the mask clearing. Do you do it while your buddy has the regulator (during your exhale)? Do you do it when you have the regulator?

It shouldn't matter since you should be able to clear your mask 3 times on a single breath by the time you get certified, 5 or 6 times before you go for DM. I prefer clearing my mask when my buddy has the reg.

Amazingly, we aced it first try. We did this: (after buddy breathe swim to site):
Gear: shorty, no integrated wts., lead shot (shop) belts-only thing pool allowed.
1. Switched gear beforehand. This is allowable, though our instructor said she didn't think it would make any difference. I figured it's easier to put your own gear on than someone else's. You can go over how to easily take your buddy's gear off of you before getting in the pool.
2. Go to the bottom, get in position, and simultaneously swith BCs. That's the hardest part, as see it.
3. Switch fins.
4. Switch masks-just take a good look where everything is before mask removal and open your eyes in that awful chlorine water.

Oh, it helped that we were about the same size. The other 2 were very different and they had a heck of a time. This would seem unfair to me. I think there is another long thread on this in Going Pro.

Last edited:
It was a blast when I did it.

I have a prescription mask. We swapped masks to start off with since we figured we could each easily deal with starting out with both of us not being able to see! My buddy had the worst of it - ever tried looking through someone's glasses?

Of course he had one up on me - I was wearing full foot fins in the pool and he was wearing boots and open heeled fins. Putting on his boots was interesting, but not near as much as watching him struggle into my smaller sized fins.

We were also wearing three-fingered mitts at the time.

Once learned and practiced, the "buddy breathing" was the more straight-forward of the processes.

We had way too much fun doing it.

We found it fairly easy. If you have one second stage with a somewhat longer hose it makes things easier, my octo happened to have an extra long- 48 inch or so so we used it instead of either of our regular regs. I also have a prescription mask and worked a deal with the instructor. We removed and exchanged mask, then exchanged them again so we both ended up with our own mask. Met the requirements of exchanging and replacing mask and at the same time allowed us to both see.

Well I do have reg set with 7ft hose I could use :)

You already have half of it down when you do it slowly, relax, amd take things step by step as you will discuss before doing it. The hardest part when doing it the first time is getting your buddy and you to go slow. Once you see just how long you can blow a small stream of bubbles it becomes easier. With OW students that has been the key for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom