Do any of the newer Canon +

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sandrascuba:
I have the Ikelite wireless slave sensor on my DS125 setup and it's been recommended that I go with the manual controller. That wireless setup really is cow dung. Looking over the Ike page, I see the terms EV manual controller, TTL sync cord and manual controller. Is the EV manual controller and manual controller the same? I have no idea how these manual controlers work but would one or the other be best and work with the A710is? If the EV manual controller and manual controler are different, which one would be best? Would the TTL sync cord work?

Thanks so much again. I really do appreciate all the advice and pictures. You're the best.

Sandra

The Manual Controller IS the EV controller - you don't need a TTL sync chord, and no they won't work with the canon p&s cameras, since they don't have a hotshoe ttl connection. The Manual EV (Exposure Value) Controller has several power settings for the strobe's power. The DS-51 is also a good option, and yes, it will attach to the ikelite arms you have already.

Reef Photo has a good package on the DS-51 with EV controller.

Sandra, I called Reef's Photo and pleaded for help -- which got me the Inon D2000 and the Inon Macro along with the ultra light arm and the mount for the wet lens. All it took was a phone call and a credit card! (Note -- the strobe, lens arm and mount actually DID cost more than the camera and the Canon housing.)

The D2000 uses an optical connection and Inon's "sTTL" function which, as far as I could tell, works very well.

My went back and forth between Shutter Priority (about 1/200th) and Ap Priority (about f8). I forced the flash for almost every picture -- with the few exceptions when I was taking just a pure "scenic shot" of a wall or such.

I found the camera very easy to work with the Canon housing -- at least those things I wanted to adjust (Macro mode - on/off; flash - on/off; menu; Ap to Shutter to Movie mode). I'm very pleased with the whole system.

It doesn't take pleading for help from Reef Photo - just ask. Ryan and/or Kelly are both great photographers, and know a lot about UW photography.

I would agree that the Inon strobes are more simplified to use for P&S cameras. They have the sensor built in. They take AA batteries too.

If you're looking for simple solutions - Inon strobes are easy to use in automatic mode, which the ikelite won't have.

Well let me see if I can come up with an S80 first. There's several on Ebay at the moment and I'm involved in bidding for one. There's also 2 compatible Canon housings WP DC1's. I've bookmarked the site you mentioned Caloy, and will look it over when I get a chance. First, I need the camera and housing. Then - let the games begin with all (oh no, no, no) the other doo-dads.

Sandra

sandrascuba:
Well let me see if I can come up with an S80 first. There's several on Ebay at the moment and I'm involved in bidding for one. There's also 2 compatible Canon housings WP DC1's. I've bookmarked the site you mentioned Caloy, and will look it over when I get a chance. First, I need the camera and housing. Then - let the games begin with all (oh no, no, no) the other doo-dads.

Sandra
after you've taken a Mike Veitch photo class in February (I took one last August) your bank book will never be the same again....you'll be on a noodle diet.:)

clgsamson:
after you've taken a Mike Veitch photo class in February (I took one last August) your bank book will never be the same again....you'll be on a noodle diet.:)
*groan* Tell me about it. I'm still trying to figure out how much jewelry it's going to cost me to get permission to spend the bucks (and vacation time!) on that class...

sandrascuba, if you end up with an S80, I can pretty much assure you you'll be happy with your camera. :)

Just take good care of it, because replacements are getting thin on the ground...

I figured that I'd probably sink (no pun intended) about as much money in my new camera as I did my Sony. (I'd guess I spent 2500-3000 on it). The ebay auction ends in less than 4 hours now so I'll know soon if I have a camera or not.

I'm looking forward to meeting Mike. I understand he's away in Bali at the moment but should be back in Yap next week. Perhaps I'll be able to catch up with him on the scubaboard here when he returns to break the news I'll be taking a class from him. Hope he has a connection for patience pills :)

I saw a very long and detailed review on the S80 here.
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/s80.html
I hope learning this camera isn't as complicated as it sounds.

I want to use the S80 for land shots as well as u/w. Should I get the WC DC10 wide angle and TC DC10 teleconverter along LA DC20 lens adapter or be looking at the wet lenses? Here's a dense question... do the wet lenses attach to the camera or the housing? If housing.... shoot, I'll have to get both sets. Darn!

One more question... since I won't be using an external strobe right off the bat, I assume I'll need the little weight bar for the housing. Correct?

Thanks again.... gee this thread has become really long but perhaps there are lurkers (like me usually) reading along and also learning a ton of knowledge. You guys are the best!

Sandra

sandrascuba:
Thanks again.... gee this thread has become really long but perhaps there are lurkers (like me usually) reading along and also learning a ton of knowledge. You guys are the best!

Sandra

I know there's at least one.

Sandra,

The S80 is definitively discontinued and while it is a nice camera (i was looking to get one), Ebay is your only option for that. If someone handed one to me i would be delighted, but i am suspect of folks selling a <1yr old camera when there was not a better option for them to buy.

A recent post indicated that the A710is was not available. It is. I have the A710is in my hand and the housing is scheduled to arrive today. Camera from amazon, housing from some outfit in CA (cant remember)..if you go this route PM me and i will send you the info.

I know the A710is does not shoot RAW.. I have it in my DSLR, but rarely commit to the workflow.

I think the mention of RAW was a prior post, as opposed to yourself and IMO FWIW RAW is not a requirement for the majority of camera users, particularly those with p&s cameras in order to easily provide decent pics.

While RAW does provide some advantage in its ability to compensate for some degree of exposure error and WB....post processing of JPEG can also provide adequate enhancement for blue/dim pics.. not as well as RAW, but without the extra PITA processing (just an opinion folks).

On the topic of flash, many posts indicate decent pics to around 4-5ft with canon A series onboard flash.. Clearly a DS51 will extend that flash and give better illumination and more control over camera settings (ability to use faster shutter speeds for fill flash; smaller apertures for given distance etc).

So, while i would hate to complicate things for you. If you wanted to ditch the slave sensor for an external strobe, the upcoming Canon G7 has a hotshoe, allowing full wired external TTL flash control (ie: without slave sensor) but delivery status of the G7 and its housing are unknown...but it aint here yet.

knowing your priorities to be ease of use, portability and angst over the use of the slave sensor then if you are willing to wait a month then the G7 would be your better option, otherwise the A710is or similar with Canon housing is a decent choice...

I am off to Bonaire next week so would not wait for the G7, nor do i want to fork out the $$$ yet for a DSLR housing...

didnt help huh?..:)

sandrascuba:
One more question... since I won't be using an external strobe right off the bat, I assume I'll need the little weight bar for the housing. Correct?

Sandra

I never bothered with the outrageously priced Bar. The camera is a little positiive, but UW it just does not matter. If you have it on your wrist with a lanyard, and you are not holding onto it, it floats up a bit, no big deal. You could make a bar easy enough, but I just physically could NOT pay $20 for a tiny hunk of lead, it made me ill even considering it! :D You could go to the hardware store, and for $3 purchase a bar of steel, and a bolt. Drill a hole in the bottom of the lead in the center, and attach it using the bolt. Instant weight bar. If you don't have something to cut steel, the hardware store generally will do it for you for a very nominal fee.

Threads often grow a life of their own, and will go on long after the original question has been answered. This one has remained surprisinigly in topic! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom