Do cell phones work in Bonaire?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cellular Phone Service

GSM is supported on Bonaire at European frequencies. Roaming with some carriers, including Cingular and T-Mobile is possible as well and GPRS data services are available for roaming in some cases.

There are three cellular service provides on Bonaire: Telbo (the island phone company), MIO, and Digicel. Telbo and Digicel use GSM, and MIO uses CDMA technology. All three offer prepay phone usage programs.
Info Bonaire - Telephone - Calling to and calling from

Yes they do work. At least my Verizon phone did. I just needed to dial 001 and then the 10 digit phone number

Yes they do work. At least my Verizon phone did. I just needed to dial 001 and then the 10 digit phone number

Did you call the states from your Verizon phone on the island? What were the charges you experienced?

Did you call the states from your Verizon phone on the island? What were the charges you experienced?

Verizon does not use GSM in almost all their phones (they have one or two models for buisness customers), as a result I didn't think much about it, but I turned my phone on to show some pics and check some dates and learned that it did get a signal in Bonaire, and one of my buddies sent me a text message.

Cost 3 dollars to recieve that sms, and you don't have a choice if the phone is on.

They (Verizon Wireless) do have a plan for overseas travel that is pricey, but considerably cheaper than just firing the phone up and dialing.

However, if you are looking to communicate with others in your party on the island, bring some 2 way radios, they have good range and are cheap enough.

If looking to communicate with people at home bring your laptop, most resorts have free wireless Internet.

But as a Verizon employee(hey, stop sneering, it doesn't make me a bad person) it is my duty to tell you to bring your cell and call, and call often!:D

Has there been any update since 2009? Probably of interest to the rest of the Invasion Crew.

Wow tep , a post that was dead for 15 years. Why not post a new thread? Or better yet, contact Verizon and get the info and post it.
My Tmobile plan has 5GB of high speed international roaming and works great on Bonaire. Free text messages. $0.25 a min voice.

Every plan within cell providers are different. Your Tmobile plan may not include so best advice is for everyone to check their plan and don't rely on things you read on a post.
Don't be this guy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom