Do currents cause accidents?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think you guys are splitting hairs and farting semantics.
You aren't wrong, but you aren't right either. It's like saying "Diving deep causes accidents". Which really isn't true. Diving deep poorly causes accidents, but for a current to cause an accident, some human has to do something wrong, or perhaps, just fail to do something right. Or perhaps fail to do anything at all, when something was required.

Splitting hairs, perhaps. But there's a difference.

Clever lad. Where do I send the cheque?
Same place you sent the last one....

I think many forget the point that the only way to gain experience in the currents that can take you down or up and on a nice fast drift dive are not something that can be prepared for in a pool. There are times at some dive sites I dive at the currents can really rip. Not often but when you are diving with most vacation divers many of them have not experienced these types of currents and most dive centers prefer not to take divers like OW and AOW on really fast drift dives. At least where I dive.

So it is good to pair up an experienced current diver with one not so experienced. Also many vacation divers I see rent gear and do not have an SMB so pairing up to another diver that has one also a good idea. Even divers that do have a lot of dives may have never dived currents like this as was the case with a Japanese lass I dived with I wrote about in this thread.

The sea is not malicious, it isn’t out to get you. It’s not trying to catch anyone out. Just don’t take it for granted and check the conditions on the day.

Currents are the biggest factor that concern me when diving, especially since I dive from my own boat and there's often no one on board.

Even Michael Phelps would be screwed if he got caught in a 2-3 knot current and had to swim a significant distance.

In case of current I have contingency plans (swim into the current on the way out, hug the bottom where currents are weaker, swim across current if possible etc.) but i am ready to scrub a dive if i see significant current.

A few years ago I wanted to dive some wrecks up near Point Conception from my private boat. The location is remote and the only feasible access is via a public boat hoist on a pier at Gaviota state park. In order to use the hoist you have to get a custom lifting sling made for your boat, have the lifting sling and boat inspected and attend a full day training class (300 mile round trip drive).

After jumping through all the hoops, a buddy and took the boat up to Gaviota, camped out so we could get an early start, then lauched first thing in the morning.

We motored up to Point Conception, anchored on the first wreck. As we were gearing up we noticed the current was flowing like a river. We called the dive and went home.

During the following winter, a big storm wrecked the pier and it's unlikely the hoist will be repaired anytime soon, if ever.

I still don't have any regrets calling that dive.

The sea is not malicious, it isn’t out to get you. It’s not trying to catch anyone out. Just don’t take it for granted and check the conditions on the day.

I take a completely different attitude. I am frequently running the internal dialog that the ocean IS trying to kill me and trick me and deceive me and that I have to keep this in mind and try to maintain focus. It is trying to draw me into situations that possibly should be avoided.

Even when it is serene and peaceful, I have to remind myself that it is actually hostile.

The sea is what it is. It has no conscience.

I take a completely different attitude. I am frequently running the internal dialog that the ocean IS trying to kill me and trick me and deceive me and that I have to keep this in mind and try to maintain focus. It is trying to draw me into situations that possibly should be avoided.

Even when it is serene and peaceful, I have to remind myself that it is actually hostile.
You need to study how weather works and how it affects sea conditions, and when is the best time to dive and what conditions to expect, the sea is not out to get you. The longer you spend at sea the better you will understand the affect of weather systems.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom