Do fossil hunters hibernate?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Being very new to the FL dive scene and having only dove Venice Beach, a question that's been nagging on me lately is, when does it get too cold to dive Venice Beach? I went for my first time one week ago today and I thought the water was bearable (upper 60's), does it get much colder than this? How much time do I have left before we get to polar bear club only temps? Are there any other variables that change with the season (less/more fish activity; visibility; crowds; etc.?)

Any info from the people who've been doing this a while would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Last winter the water temp dipped down to low 60's for most of the winter and I think bottomed out around 58 for a few days. This was unusually cold. The previous two winters (I moved to FL in "06) the average winter water temp was about 65. Visibility seems to be better in the winter after long periods of easterly winds since they is less algae but unfortunately winter storms are more the norm with weeks of undivable conditions. These are just my opinions based on personal observations. I'm sure the long time residents will have more to add.

sh@rkw@tcher said it pretty well..... It's only a matter of your personal comfort and equipment as to how cold is too cold to dive!!

Really:
when does it get too cold to dive Venice Beach?

It doesn't.

Winter water temps vary from year to year. The last time I remember them in the upper 40s/low 50s was in the winter of 2000-2001. That was an exceptionally cold winter, temps rarely drop into the 50s. A 7 mm suit with a hood should take care of you in anything you're likely to encounter in the winters at Venice.

In fact this is when they all come out of hibernation around here...No place to park and traffic backed up..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom