Do I have a problem? Tell me if there's a problem. =-)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Y'know, chickie, you have an awesome attitude and a real good head on your shoulders. I am in awe.

However, back to your original question "Do I have a problem?" . . . Given that you:

. . .go stand out in a parking lot in 30 degree temps, wind, and strip down half naked, struggle into a huge cold suit, and walk carrying 100 lb on your back . . .

AND called it fun . . . yes, ma'am, you have a problem. You surely do.

:rofl3: (I swim laps in an 82* pool . . . wearing my 5mm shorty . . . thinking about switching to the 7mm full suit . . . ) :cold: :rofl3::rofl3:

I'll dive with you DOWN SOUTH anytime! :D

I'm not trying to be argumentative Interceptor, but if it resulted in some level of panic at 25', I wouldn't call it a minor issue. Nevertheless, this should never have occurred. Where was the predive inspection? What were the Buddy, DM and Instructor doing? Obviously not their jobs... :idk:

We have already assessed that the teaching stuff was inadequate. Reading more about the specific they performed the buddy check not before entering the water but before moving to the entry point
All a bit silly but to be honest with you it has been surprising the she could get at 25' with the tank closed. Hope she wasn't holding her breath! :wink:

If I were you I would consider talking to the instructor who checked up on you and ask them to complete your certification or to be your instructor for any other certifications you do in the future.

Money, scheduling, and the knowledge that if I did it in more challenging conditions, I'd appreciate the good times even more. =-)

Cozumel. I'm in no mood to challenge mother nature, I'll take what she gives me and deal with it. It's a vacation, baby, and that's good enough for me!

I'd schedule my diving with a dive op that has a 40' boat, just in case---ie Aldora will be no problem......

this is sad thats its the norm and the sad thing is the shop owner thinks hes a good trainer and wonders why his con-ed is lacking

take another class with a real instructor it's your life and you are only get one

I'd schedule my diving with a dive op that has a 40' boat, just in case---ie Aldora will be no problem......

And the Aldora divemasters who look for folks who want to improve their diving and teach them wonderful stuff in an informal way....
Smooches to them! :Kissy:

And happy bubbles to you, LC! You're obviously a thinking and level-headed person in the water. I concur, with all the others, that you will be fine diver soon. :crafty:

Oh! And your story makes me want to give an enormous shout out to my open water instructor who was wonderful and thorough and fun.
GOOD ON YA, LAROTUNDA!!!!!!!!:cheers:

I had switched tanks myself, my buddy watched, the gear was carried to the waters edge and, I believe, moved by someone else. During the moves, it might have been picked up wrong, and the knob rotated. Why the issue didn't arise until we got down to the bottom, I don't know. Regardless, I didn't check once more time before strapping it on and, as people have pointed out, no DM or instructor was overseeing it. (After reading, this class was WAY more unstructured than many, and that goes in line with one element I felt was missing: tight control, organization and oversight.) My bad, and no one to point it out. But I figured it out! :)

All things considered, I'm glad a challenge like that happened in a less dangerous environment. It impressed upon me that no one but ME is ultimately responsible for... everything. In the class environment, I think most people (myself included) will at some point face a challenge, fail, and and push responsibility for "fixing" the situation on to the instructor. Or, we'll discount our own instincts in deference to someone else's experience. (For example, I had mentioned the hood felt tight at fitting, but was assured it was okay by the instructor.)

That experience, however, made it very clear to me that 1)any loss of focus and calmness never helps a situation and 2)all fingers point back to yourself, ultimately. :) Uncomfortable with something? Fix it. Question? Find an answer. Something doesn't feel right... trust your instincts! And never, ever, trust anyone else's checking. Do it yourself. If all people have that same attitude, you're backing each other up well.

As others have mentioned, you have the attitude of a thinking, self-reliant diver, that experienced divers love to dive with. And boy, are you a natural for GUE/UTD training (TSandM will explain when you dive with her).

Welcome to the sport.

Guy (Prediction: she'll be Full Cave in five to seven years)

you should look into getting a BP/W.................

:)

What in the name of wide world of sports has getting a BP/W got to do with the question post? Am I missing something from the OP?

Back
Top Bottom