Do I need a computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tjmills:
You don't NEED a computer to dive this but when everyone else still diving you are likely to be back on the boat waiting for them. A computer is not required but man they sure are useful. I would recommend waiting until you can buy one, get familar with it and then you will see why this is one of the most useful diving tools you can have. Renting one when you have never used them before can be complicated and maybe not such a good thing.

If you have a good buddy you will both be back on the boat, after all you are supposed to use the most conservative method, so with tables you're both back in the boat even if his computer says he's good to go.

Renting a computer can be complex if you don't use them, I dove a dive with a guy once that rented one and he didn't have a clue how to use it, it was wasted money for him.

At 45 feet computers won't be much of an advantage but if you plan to go much deeper you really should own one.

String:
Not having backup gauges is lunacy. If the computer craps out and you dont have any, how long have you been down? What depth are you at? What is your ascent rate? How do you know what depth to stop at to do a deco and/or safety stop? With no instruments at all youve got no chance. If its air integrated as well (these things really do strike me as pointless) in addition to now knowing where you are, what you have to do and where to do it you also have the added bonus of not knowing if you have enough gas to do whats needed either.

Computers are electronic, they can flood, can randomly break and batteries can run out.

With Recreational diving (<130) we are talking about not coming close to your limits and paying attention to your computer. I don't dive alone so I always can check my depth on my buddy's computer if I need to. I also know how much time I have and check it regularly. If one of my checks equals a dead screen, that means its time to terminate the dive on the spot. Now I also dive with a watch so I can and do also time myself and can time my safety stops.

Estimating 15-20 feet for the safety stop is the only challenge but not impossible, again I am always with a buddy. If he should not come up with me for some reason, I can usually judge it on my own fairly close or deploy my sausage with my reel that is marked for 20ft. Again, if you are not pushing deco time, the safety stop is recommended but not mandatory. With that being said, I still do one for every dive.

Of course, for anything deep or technical I would agree that these backup guages are necessary. JMHO

tjmills:
I don't dive alone so I always can check my depth on my buddy's computer if I need to.

Thats great - until you get separated from your buddy.

Estimating 15-20 feet for the safety stop is the only challenge but not impossible,

How on earth do you judge 15-20ft with no visual reference and no way of reading water pressure ?

again I am always with a buddy.

Thats nice unless you end up separated.

If he should not come up with me for some reason, I can usually judge it on my own fairly close or deploy my sausage with my reel that is marked for 20ft. Again, if you are not pushing deco time, the safety stop is recommended but not mandatory. With that being said, I still do one for every dive.

and if you ARE close to the limits? What if your ascent is a bit rapid as a result of purely guessing with the smallest bubble method ? Would you now want to extend a safety stop then? What if you are into decompression (which contrary to a myth that appears to be on here is certainly not out of "recreational" domains).

tjmills:
With Recreational diving (<130) we are talking about not coming close to your limits and paying attention to your computer.

OK, please take note that I'm not trying to jump on you and force you to wear an asbestos suit here. That being said, all those new divers who are reading this need to know this very important point.

At 90 feet, your NDL (No Decompression Limit) will be 25 minutes, at 120 feet it will be 13 minutes. You stand a VERY good chance of runing out of time before you run out of air. It is not uncommon for a diver to return to a boat with nearly half of their air remaining on deep dives such as these. If you are diving below 60 feet, you must watch your time limits either by using a timer and following a predetermined turn time, or your dive computer and end the dive before you run out of time. This is one sure fire way to get yourself a ride in a pot (chamber) if you don't pay attention!

pt40fathoms:
OK, please take note that I'm not trying to jump on you and force you to wear an asbestos suit here. That being said, all those new divers who are reading this need to know this very important point.

At 90 feet, your NDL (No Decompression Limit) will be 25 minutes, at 120 feet it will be 13 minutes. You stand a VERY good chance of runing out of time before you run out of air. It is not uncommon for a diver to return to a boat with nearly half of their air remaining on deep dives such as these. If you are diving below 60 feet, you must watch your time limits either by using a timer and following a predetermined turn time, or your dive computer and end the dive before you run out of time. This is one sure fire way to get yourself a ride in a pot (chamber) if you don't pay attention!

Absolutely correct. I think a better reference for new divers would be <80 feet or perhaps even <60 feet. My former post should have said this rather than <130. You make an excellent point here and should certainly be noted.

That being said, in a non technical environment for your normal vacation diver in warm water does not necessarily need back up guages with a computer.

String: I am not trying to with you but simply trying to point out that I feel differently for the average tropical diver. There are procedures to deal with loosing your buddy and you should follow them. Search 1 minute and return to the surface. I believe both PADI and SSI both teach this procedure. As far as going over your time limits, if you are only looking at your computer every 20 minutes you are in trouble anyway. You should always have a good idea of how much time and air you have left and if one of your checks (which should be often) reveals a dead screen on your computer, its time to go. I am talking non deco diving here which most would consider non technical diving. I am not saying it isn't a good idea if you are doing more technical dives just not necessarily required for this type of diving. The real bummer is .....not having it for the next dive.

For cryin' out loud - he's going to the Keys and will be lucky to hit 40 feet with a shovel. Without an AOW card, he won't be going to a deeper site in the Keys. He should be more concerned about losing the boat which is a common problem with newbies in the Keys.

redhatmama:
For cryin' out loud - he's going to the Keys and will be lucky to hit 40 feet with a shovel. Without an AOW card, he won't be going to a deeper site in the Keys. He should be more concerned about losing the boat which is a common problem with newbies in the Keys.

This thread has gotten a little expanded, which is common on BB threads. No harm with that, but he did say that he wasn't planning on anything deeper than 45'

I think most is said on this topic.

When all is said and done, more is said than done.

My thought; 3 dives or less a day and not all down below 100 ft and good planning with the dive table... you don't need a computer.

But if you like diving and plan to continue for some time, buy a computer... and make realistic dive plans all the same.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom