Do I need a Knife?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can do a search since this topic has been covered before, but I'll try to surmise. You need a knife in case of entanglements while diving. There are fishing lines that you don't see that you can become entangled in. A knife assists you in cutting the line since trying to unravel yourself can make the situation worse and lead to an OOA emergency. There is also seaweed that you can become entangled in that can cause the same effect.
Just keep in mind that you don't necessarily need a bowie knife. I carry a small one as well as a pair of medical shears which I believe cuts even better.

Kelp, mono-filament fishing line,and rope are three off the top of my head.

A knife is a tool you hope never to need, but if you need it...you'll be glad you had it.

Many of us carry a knife and "EMT" shears.

In most cases bigger is not better...sharper is key.

But it doesn't need to be large, expensive or made of special material... unless you have need for an large expensive knife made of special material... and most don't.

Ideally you should carry both knife and shears. EMT shears work well on things like stainless steel fishing leader and downrigger cable. A very sharp blunt tip knife works well on monofilament line and even 2" weightbelt harness.

The large expensive knives (some of which are made of special material) usually don't do well on any of the above... though ones with sharp points can be used to kill sharks and enemy divers.

Here is my cheap plastic handled dive knife. I scored the blade with a file and snapped the tip off. I also ground off the pommels on the plastic handle so it fits into a webbing sheath snugly. It is razor sharp and has been since I sharpened it two years ago. It will slice through weight belting like it was butter but the end is dressed so it is not sharp.

I have a little, sharp inexpensive knife attached to my BC. I think it was like 15 bucks at Diver's Direct, and I had occasion to use it on my last dive in NJ. Three times! :eek:
I was glad I had it.
And to dive in NJ on a boat, only a silly captain would not require that each diver have one.

... on the waist strap. Knives that are on legs, arms, chest straps, inflator hose, ect. are problematic IMO. The knife on the waist belt is just the ticket.

another reason to have a knife is if you see a shark coming your way and fixing to attack you, you can cut your dive buddy and then the shark will go for him and you should have time to get away. LOL :) just kidding, all the reasons already posted are the best reasons to have one and hopefully you will never need it but its good insurance to have just in case...

steve

Entanglement sucks and is a potential risk on any dive.

(Also, the knife comes in really handy for Halloween pumpkin carving - underwater of course)

Uncle Pug,
Why do you suggest that a knife is better on monofilament
line than EMT shears? Intuition would tell me an instrument
that can cut stainles steel leader could cut monofilament
line as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom