Do I need a license to spearfish in St. Thomas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why do people want to kill off the marine life? I'll never get it.

I'm guessing they want to eat it.

R

Eat chicken.

I suspect that the laws protect those fish populations that could be harmed by spearfishing. Taking a specific fish to eat is not likely to "kill off the marine life". If you like to eat fish, spearing them is an efficient way to get a fish you want without by-catch that occurs by commercial netting operations, etc.
I have no problem with a person choosing not to spearfish but I also respect the rights of someone to harvest a fish if they do so responsibly and legally.

I can't afford to buy fish in the stores. The prices are crazy. If I can get some fish without having to pay high license taxes and travel gas I'm thrilled.

Back home to fish for trout in PA cost me about 50 bucks for a one day out of state fishing license, stamps and gas round trip. That is pretty expensive for a few fish to eat.Then I may not even get one fish!

Now the only question is which reef fish are good to eat?

I had heard that parrot fish is OK to eat.

Any suggestions?

Allenwrench, it is ok to spearfish in the USVI's without a license (don't even try to get a speargun in the BVI, unless you want "free lodging"). There are regulations on what not to spear, such as Nassau Grouper and other groupers, and lobsters (you can snare, but not spear). There are also areas that are protected from spearing, Buck Island and Flat Cay. Be careful of what you spear and where. Fish caught near the islands often carry cignatara (sp?) which will make you sick, parrotfish are known for this. It is recommended to fish away from the islands. It's also recommended you only take what you are going to eat. Finding someone to take you on a boat to spearfish is the biggest challenge. I don't know of anyone who would take on that liability. Visit Admiralty who is the largest spearfishing shop and caters to the local fisherman. They educate the local population to protect the future of the reef fish.

Allenwrench, it is ok to spearfish in the USVI's without a license (don't even try to get a speargun in the BVI, unless you want "free lodging"). There are regulations on what not to spear, such as Nassau Grouper and other groupers, and lobsters (you can snare, but not spear). There are also areas that are protected from spearing, Buck Island and Flat Cay. Be careful of what you spear and where. Fish caught near the islands often carry cignatara (sp?) which will make you sick, parrotfish are known for this. It is recommended to fish away from the islands. It's also recommended you only take what you are going to eat. Finding someone to take you on a boat to spearfish is the biggest challenge. I don't know of anyone who would take on that liability. Visit Admiralty who is the largest spearfishing shop and caters to the local fisherman. They educate the local population to protect the future of the reef fish.

Totally agree with Laura here. There's no way that I'd eat any reef fish. Having known a few people who've had the joy of ciguatera poisoning. (Ciguatera - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
It makes Montezuma's Revenge look like a fun thing to do. If you absolutely have to try the local fish, stop by a grocery store. You'll likely find a wide selection of parrotfish, triggerfish, and blue tang. It's only a few bucks/pound so enjoy! And let us know how it turns out.

Jeff

Back
Top Bottom