Do I need a license to spearfish in St. Thomas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you absolutely have to try the local fish, stop by a grocery store. You'll likely find a wide selection of parrotfish, triggerfish, and blue tang.
Ummmm-Where does the grocery store get their local fish?
It doesn't mention that freezing kills it.

If you absolutely have to try the local fish, stop by a grocery store. You'll likely find a wide selection of parrotfish, triggerfish, and blue tang.

When I was in the STT a long time ago I asked why the fish was so high $$ in the market. They said it came from, Fla.

Too bad about the reef fish and ciguatera. But thanks for the heads up L and J.

Decent fish is getting hard to find as well as afford. A small walleye fillet was over $10 here. Lots of farm raised poison from Chile that is somewhat affordable if you don't mind getting force fed PCB's and other toxins.

With the frozen US wild caught salmon I'm seeing at Walmart, it is being shipped to China for cleaning and 'processing'.

Here is an interesting book of how things were in the bygone days of beachcombing.

Amazon.com: Euell Gibbons' Beachcomber's Handbook: Euell Gibbons: Books

Re-emphasising the risk of ciguatera poisoning in the Virgin Islands. Barracuda are particularly succeptible. Express ticket to an unpleasant hospital stay.

In the BVI, we import virtually all of our fish. Lobster are OK, as are "blue water" fish (dolphin, wahoo, kingfish, etc.)

I said that so that he could try the fish without having to rent a boat, buy a license, hire a guide and then try to find fish to shoot. Just trying to help.

Jeff

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom