Do I Need a Wetsuit in Hawaii?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was in Hawaii (big island) a couple of weeks ago and dived twice. (Unfortunately, I came down with a cold and was not able to dive more as planned.) I had given a fair bit of thought to the appropriate thickness of wetsuit to use. I own a 3mm and a 5mm. I didn't want the hassle and extra weight needed with the 5mm so I took the 3mm and bought a 1mm vest w/ hood and a 3mm vest w/ hood and took them with me. I dived with the 3mm + 1mm and was COLD! [min water temp was 74 and 78 on the two dives]. The DMs wore 7mm! [The particular day I dived was overcast with drizzle with air temps in the 70s so I started out cold and never warmed up.]

I dived with Kohala Divers Scuba Diving in Hawaii with Kohala Divers and would recommend them. Funny you asked about bathrooms. I am a guy and my requirements in that area are not great---but I thought their boat had the best head I had ever used! (Very clean with electric flush.)

I normally wear a 5 mil full suit when diving on Maui. One of the things to keep in mind is that you want to keep warm before and after the dive. Since boats on Maui usually head out early in the morning and it may be a little chilly on the way to the site. Bring a hat and maybe a sweatshirt to keep warm on the way out so you aren't chilled before beginning the dive. That can make a huge difference. Normally, it will be nice and warm after your dive once the sun is out.

I went to Maui in November 2007, and in packing I nonchalantly tossed in my customary tropical 3 mm suit.

I survived, but on every dive I wished I had brought my 5 mm instead.

I would go with a minimum 3mm (maybe with a hood)...

It is good protection for whatever you might brush against while diving.

I'm going to Oahu for the 3rd time in March. I will be diving in a full 5 mm and will be taking a 3 mm hood in case I still get cold.

Good diving, Craig

We go back from Maui almost a week ago and the water temperatures were pretty consistently 74-76 degrees. The water will continue to drop until it's around 72 degrees (we've seen 73 degrees in early April). If you use that as your guage, you'll be fine.

Personally, I won't dive in less than a 7mm full suit in Maui in non-summer, partly because we dive daily, but also because during the SIs the sun isn't always out and the outside air temperature + breeze can be downright chilling. Actually, during our recent 2 week stay, we had a couple of days of rain and rather icky weather where we didn't even take off our wetsuits during surface intervals. I was glad our accommodations had a hot tub on those days!

dove oahu a month ago and took my full 5/4. i normally run very hot but after 1 hour down, very glad i had it.

Forget the wetsuit and get a DUI 30/30 drysuit.

Back
Top Bottom