Do I Need a Wetsuit in Hawaii?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In the summer here on Maui I usually wear a 3 mil wetsuit and in the winter I wear a 5-7 mil (it is 5 mil in some areas and 7 in the chest area, I think. I don't like to be cold. We don't have may stinging things but I also like the protection. If you are going to be on Maui, I really recommend this operation on Maui's south shore (Kihei) Mike Severn's Diving. I have been diving with them for almost 20 years. Pauline Severns and her crew are absolutely awesome, and the boat does have a bathroom and also the best cinnamon rolls and cookies!

I have dove in Ohau Hawaii in a 2 mil shorty and was chilled after two dives. I have also dove in Ohau in a 1 mil dive skin and was comfortable. I think it depends on how you feel at the time. I dove in Panama City Beach in Nov in a 3 mil suit and sure did wish I had my 7 mil suit. I didn't freeze but I would have been much more comfortable with a thicker suit. I think I would error on the side of a thicker suit rather than the thinner one. Of course I am an old guy and a sissy when it comes to cold. Old Coot.

I would highly recommend a wetuit. Not so much for warmth, but for protection. If you plan on doing any shore diving there, and there are some great spots, the volcanic rock can be very sharp. I have an old wetsuit to prove it. It will provide much needed protection. For 4 years I wore a 7mm farmer john. It's what I had and being in the Army, didn't have the extra cash for a thinner one. However, I would thing a 3mm would work just fine. Enjoy the diving...

just got back, 74 F at suface. A 60ish, fit, trim woman in our group used a 7mm and was happy. I use a 3mm shorty and was ok (I am very cold tolerant). others used 5mm and were ok, more would not have hurt, esp on 2nd dive. Good hood, say 3mm, helps lots. Good jacket for surface interval.
Aloha
Kapaau Boy

I usually dive a drysuit in Monterey, but when traveling to warm water I like to pack a wetsuit that will be plenty warm (like a 5 or 7mm for Maui) and then fine tune the exposure control by trying out different hoods. You can go bare headed, or a thin cap, or a 5 or 7mm full hood. That gives you a lot of temperature/comfort control without the bulk of carrying several complete wetsuits.

If the HI water is 7 degrees (Fahrenheit, I assume) cooler than where you wear nothing, I would think a shorty is fine. I wore just a body suit ("rash guard', if you like) in 76F water in Panama, 2 or 3 dives daily for a week. Everyone differs, but I think you have a good idea of what you need.

I hope the OP got the needed information during the 8 years since the question was asked.

I have complained about being too warm diving, was in the Philippines , Barracuda Lake Coron was so hot, I was in Oahu January dived in a 3mm wetsuit was plenty warm, personal preference though as some feel the cold more than others

I hope the OP got the needed information during the 8 years since the question was asked.

Maybe climate change has changed the answer ????

Perhaps in 8 more years, we can revisit the thread and we'll all be diving in skins.

BTW - I could probably do a skin year round in Hawaii (and have in some spots, in Sept), but generally used a 3mm FS, since I own it anyway.

Reactions: Doc
Thanks John. Admit that in retirement I neglect to check this stuff out--it's easier to go on SB and just surf around than to wonder when or IF your favourite TV show is on today, this week, or next month....

Reactions: Doc
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom