Do I Need AOW to Travel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think some NA or other countries that follow the rules will ask for AOW, if going beyond the 60 feet or more drift dives but the own i've been to since last year, they really do not care that much at all. I got certified last year, got 60 dives as of today, did the fast drift, went deep to 90 feet, really good on air, buoyancy is amazing did some wreck dives, but not wreck penetration just the ones where they are easily accessible to get out. I have no desire to be AOW, as I'm just enjoying diving and when I go down south again no desire to go deep because, i don't have my regular buddy with me, and I'm always stuck with a vacation diver. Anyhow that's me...

I had my AOW probably by my 10th dive. I took it because after OW I did not have most of my gear purchased yet and my instructor did not charge for a rental if it was for a class. I figured that if I were just renting and went diving for 5 dives, I'd spend more for rental alone than paying for the class and diving with free rental. Thus, I decided to continue diving for less by going through AOW and saving $$$ for my future gear. Worked out well. These 5 dives stretched to one dive a week, gave me chance to do better the next week than just rushing through the whole thing in one weekend. I got to know more, had more practice. Now I am on my some twentieth dive, own all my gear, can't wait for a vacation at some scuba diving resort.

In contrast, very few divers with minimal experience have the tendancy to significantly over-assess they abilities. They are cognizant of their limitations, especially where continued education has presented them with further challenges. The balance of their confidence versus ability is more in tune with reality.

Speaking as someone with AOW and only 19 logged dives, I think you have hit the nail right on the head. Fantastic post, it was like you were reading my mind.

The reason why I did AOW after only 10 dives was because I wanted to use the course to gain more experience and as a challenge to keep the learning process going.

However, on my follow up dives after AOW certification I never tried to push beyond my comfort level. I am very much aware of having "ONLY" 19 dives and that the certification by itself is fairly meaningless.

Actually on one of my follow up dives, on the descent I overshot to 27m and started feeling extremely uncomfortable even though I was within certification limits. I immediately ascended back up to 21m where I have done most of my diving and felt more comfortable.

BTW, I am planning to do the Rescue Diver course for my next outing!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom