Do I need reservations for mid December?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mjgoodman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi All,

Do I need to reserve a spot with a dive operator in Cozumel now or can I just show up and get on a boat? I'll be in Coz in mid December. I will make a hotel reservation in advance.

I've already spoken with a number of highly reputable operations, but I'm hesitate to commit because I prefer to see their operations in person. Also, I want to ensure that I can get in four dives per day.

Look forward to hearing the forum's advice. Thanks.

you would do well to see if any of the reputable operations you have spoken with have space available and make reservations....from Thanksgiving on it is considered their busy season on the island....sure you can just show up somewhere but you may not get a spot on the ops you have spoken with...but then again you might....I wouldn't gamble not worth it....your first priority should be to secure space with a dive op then make your hotel and air reservations...IMO:blinking:

MJ, I advise you to make some revs. the way I see it, diving is the most important part of my trip. All the expenses of getting there and staying for a week or two is justified by a great Coz DIVE vacation. Plus it is usually cheaper to pre-book.

Enjoy the day.

Good Dives, Seaflea.

We're admittedly going during a super-busy week, when virtually all US schools are on winter break, but our favorite hotel didn't have room for us, nor did our second choice, and the dive operator we're using advised that spaces were filling up. Assuredly you'd be able to find someone to dive with even if you were to just show up, but if you have strong preferences for which operator that might be, it might not be a bad idea to make a decision and book ahead.

As other have said, if you have preferences, you should absolutely make reservations. NO ONE is going to be able to guarantee you four dives a day everyday, especially if you are a solo diver. It now gets dark at 5:15, so if you are diving with a shop that allows extended bottom times and provides appropriate surface intervals, you really don't even have time for four dives before dark and most shops are not going to offer night dives every night. Rather than worrying about quantity of dives, focus on the quality of the dives. AS far as seeing the operations in person -- several of the very reputable and high quality service operations do not have shops open to the public, hence the more personalized nature of the service. You don't need to see a store front to determine the quality of an operation.

Hello MJ. If I wanted to do 4 dives a day,I would stay at a place where shore diving is an option. As shore dives will be shallow, could probably get in some extra late afternoon and/or evening dives in (using nitrox tanks if necessary) and not have to rely on whether or not a boat is going out. That will help with the cost also.

Since you say you want to get a sense in person of an op, you will likely need to hang out at either caleta (the main boat harbour) or a pier where they stop for surface intervals since, as Christi said, not all have storefronts. There you could check out the boat, talk to other divers etc. The chances of being able to dive with the op you eventually choose however become less and less likely, and especially to dive with them every day. The highly reputable operations have those reps for a reason and they fill up for the same reason! Is there something in particular you are wanting or which would be a deal-breaker if it is absent? If we knew that, and who you have contacted, we might be able to advise you whether some or all of them will fit the bill and save you some vacation shopping time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom