Do I really need a $500 strobe?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Larry C:
Bought a HW ttl converter and YS-110 with a hardwired electrical cable.

That's with the sp350 right? What ttl converter are you using?

Yes, it is a Heinrichs/Weikamp converter. You replace the original Oly bulkhead with the HW unit. I would suggest if you do it, send it to Reef Photo and Video in Florida. He'll replace the unit, pressure test it and check the function for $250. That's only $10 more than I paid for the unit by itself. The other alternative is the DiverVision set-up. It uses the HW converter with an internal cable to the original Oly bulkhead, then an Oly to Nikonos converter cable from bulkhead to strobe. It's a bit cheaper and doesn't require sending the housing out for a new bulkhead, but you won't be able to drop into any UW photo shop and pick up a type N Sea & Sea cable if you need a new one or decide to go to dual strobes like I did.

You can also order h/w converter built inside a connectore cable so that the original bulkhead doesn't need to be replaced. That is if you don't want to send your housing in for replacing the bulkhead. As I live in Finland and I would've needed to ship my housing to Germany I went that way. You need to order that cable from Japan though but it has the same h/w converter built inside a cable that connects to oly housing & inon strobe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom